Winter solstice

this blows.

summer. i miss summer. COLD SUCKS! IT SUCKS!!! :sob:

it’s also going to be 2 degrees tomorrow in the city i’m visiting right now. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME WEATHER GODS? FUCK YOU!

1 Like

RIP ao fan

You cant snowmobile in summer.
Checkmate.

1 Like

Also, i guess this means we are like only two months away from maple syrup season!!!

3 Likes

Besides, winter is coming! Im hoping to take 7-8 people at a time ice fishing at least three times. And I just posted on discord to round up uwaterloo students to go on a four day winter camping trip on reading week.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

3 Likes

Its cold. Cold is not wonderful. Summer is wonderful

Wait, am I losing my mind? There is no winter equinox, right? Equinox is March 21 and September 21, right?

Given the definition of equinox is when day and night are of approximately equal length, I’m going to go with no, there is no winter equinox.

1 Like

Note title change

1 Like

Cool… it didn’t hit me when you first made the thread, but the term “vernal equinox” kept going through my head… which is the date the calculations for both Passover and Easter are based. Which it finally hit me: wait, that’s in three months, not six.

What’s the fall equivalent of “vernal equinox”? Is it “autumnal equinox” or did I make that up? No Christian holidays are based off that (that I know of), so I don’t think about it as much.

Yep that’s the one. Nobody celebrates it because it means we are going to be plunged into darkness for another few months.

1 Like

7 Likes

i debated bringing my big coat with me cause it’s a pita to lug on a plane. in the end i did, but we’ll see how much i go out in the frigid cold. the south is gonna be colder than the north tonight.

i added the liner to my coat today. -11 when i left the house.

A week from now it will be 45 degrees warmer…and still in the 30’s. I don’t enjoy this level of cold

only for specific locations, yeah. I think my northern location will hold off the south’s temps.

well yeah, i meant new york north. its not getting down to -11 where i am now. i’m not sure i have ever experienced -11 degrees.

a streak worth continuing if you can. it kind of just sucks and there i nothing really edifying about having been in it.

a few years ago i was in vegas in january and they had some “minus5 Ice bar” - it was warmer than the air temps we left. did not go into that bar

Man, that’s cold!
I think it might break 70 today. But it’s in the 40’s at night. So, poor me!

The cold was nice enough to come down from Canada on the eastern side of the continental divide and stay there. While it says yesterdays H/L was 41/13, today is supposed to be 22/18 with tomorrow 33/30. Then move to more normal temps of upper 30’s to lower 40’s for highs and high upper 20’s to low 30’s for lows.

very livable range imo