Will you go back to the office?

I can’t complain about in-office favoritism because I’d rather take a nap at home than try to stay awake and do nothing in the office (which I did for years and was just terrible).

Also I’m overpaid already so whatever.

It’s still a complete shitshow at my office. Those who committed to being in most days seem to be barely coming in at all. No one comes in Monday or Friday, so in theory we should be pretty full Tuesday- Wednesday-Thursday, but it’s still a ghost town. Maybe 20%.

I have a fairly short commute so the time and cost is negligible. I prefer WFH but going in a day or two a week does make for a nice change assuming I’m not just going to be locked up in my office on calls all day. The point of going in is for the hallway chats and seeing people in person, and that’s still a bit of a struggle right now.

1 Like

Elitist.

Same, but I’ll say that it’s really nice to just roll out of bed, throw on shorts and the first shirt I feel like wearing, take my time going downstairs to my office, and connect to work. Saves at least 90 minutes round-trip every day.

The downside is that I have to make my own breakfast and lunch, even when Mrs. Hoffman is home.

Elitist.

Going back to the office is dumb because the pandemic is still ongoing.

1 Like

I am actually amazed. Our CEO wanted us back in the office 3 days a week. The first week I came in 2 days but skipped the third because the office was empty as hell both days. The second week I came in once. The office was so empty I realized that no one is coming in at all. Everyone is just straight up not listening to the CEO. AMAZING! Anyways, I have still been coming in once a week but I think I may just stop coming since the place is empty/depressing and my commute sucks ass.

I wonder if Elon Musk has been able to get everyone to come back into the office or if he is all bark and no bite

I also have two TV rooms AND a room for gaming.
Three bathrooms. Designated parking space,

1 Like

This sounds just like my office. You often see the motion sensitive lights shutting off in the background because the occupancy is so low.

I don’t use the TV or the gaming space when I’m at work, and one thing I love about my home office is that I don’t need to drive to get there.

I do like that I have my choice of workspaces. I might choose my kitchen table during breakfast, one of the desks with a large external monitor for diving into spreadsheets, the comfy chair in my living room if I want a “professional” background, or the couch if I just want to chill. I like that I have a private office when I want it (which I lost at work perhaps a decade ago.) I like the excellent assortment of teas and fresh snacks. I like the availability of a kitchen if I want to cook an omelet for lunch. And that I can have fish for lunch without bothering anyone.

Same (for the in-office people at least, I’m remote regardless). From what I heard, no one was listening either, and now they want to start keeping track to make sure people are going in. lol this will go well.

1 Like

And I can belch, or flatulate whenever and however loud I want to. I can go nap if I’m tired. I can use my phone as much as I want to and not be dinged on my performance review. I can do a bump if it’s a long day (I kid, there are no long days). The list goes on.

All bark and no wife imo

I could do that when I had a private office. Maybe your farts are louder than mine? And when I had a private office, I used my laptop for all the things I might use my phone for today – except phone calls, but the office had a phone, too.

Napping is a nice perk of working at home, though. That would have been really helpful when I was pregnant.

I think these are becoming more rare. At my previous company they made offices exclusive to very very senior people, when before if you were an average level manager you had an office.

Not you being homophobic during pride month!

Agreed. I had a private office in my first actuarial job. Everyone except the secretary had a private office. Then I moved to NY, and lost the office, and eventually gained it back when I became a fellow. I had an office for several years after that, and then lost it again, as the grade level requirement for offices rose.

That’s crazy!

lol. That reminds me of a joke, punchline of which was “you can tell he’s a virgin” based on how loud his fart was.

But any such connection hadn’t occurred to me. Just that I sometimes worry about the odor, but pretty much never worry about the sound.

2 Likes

It was really nice. It was also the best “collaborative” environment I’ve ever worked in. We almost never needed the conference rooms – just for whole-team meetings and client meetings. If we wanted to work with one or 3 other people, we just gathered in the office of whoever was going to drive the computer (if there was one involved) or whoever gathered people together. No fumbling with connecting stuff, finding stuff, searching for an open room, making meetings to make sure we had space… Just meet as needed with no barriers.

I once had a cube that was adjacent to the break room. The amount of burnt popcorn (the company provided free microwave popcorn), curries, and fish dishes I had to endure was immense.

2 Likes

my mans, Elon, cannot afford another divorce in this economy