Will you go back to the office?

Will you return to the office post-pandemic?
  • Yes because itā€™s my preference.
  • Yes because itā€™s my employerā€™s preference.
  • No
  • Only occassionally/Rarely

0 voters

Vote and comment.

Well, itā€™s my preference to go back part of the week (2-3 days would be my preference).

I imagine itā€™ll be my employerā€™s preference eventually, although itā€™s pretty slow going thus far (still at 0 days in office and not much of a peep about any legit timeframe for us going back in).

So Iā€™m not sure how to answer the pollā€¦ I went with yes because itā€™s my preference

3 Likes

Iā€™ll be returning only rarely/occassionally as needed to work with staff (mostly thatā€™ll be co-op students). Maybe once a week.

Iā€™m set up with a sweet WFH office, and have been WFH for much of the past 20 years so this year hasnā€™t been really a change for me.

My ā€˜officeā€™ (just a desk or two) is in one of those startup incubator open office environments. Rows of desks with no partitioning all in one huge room. Wasnā€™t a big fan of the layout even before I was aware that every surface was probably crawling with deadly viruses. Itā€™s great from the perspective of other people (lots going on) but not so much otherwise.

I donā€™t actually know what my employer will ultimately decide, but Iā€™m guessing post pandemic, they are going to be much more flexible with working part time from home. As to when this will be, unsure. I can guess that Iā€™ll be mostly in the office, but wfh sometimes.

Something between 60-70% of the people at my work have decided to WFH permanently, so TPTB are consolidating/moving the remaining people who want to come back to the office on a regular (4-5 days a week) basis into half the space inclusive of hoteling spaces for those of us who will be in less regularly (I expect to be in 2-3 times a month when we get back to a semblance of normality).

Iā€™m already back in the office full time, and have been since June 1

voted ā€œyes because itā€™s my employers preferenceā€, but it might be my preference too. I donā€™t actually know what will happen though. Probably wonā€™t happen until next summer based on how it sounds like the vaccine is rolling out.

I was WFH before, and will stay indefinitely I hope. So I answered No.

Kind of this, kind of NormalDan. Mrs. Hoffman says I need to be back in the office so I have social interaction with other people who actually understand what I do, and certainly some meetings will be easier to do in-person. (Sheā€™s not wrong.) Iā€™d like to do it up to 3 days a week, and I think my employer will be supportive of that, but my employer will dictate when that happens and thatā€™s currently penciled in as Spring 2021.

That said, I kind of donā€™t want to be in the office any time soon. Or, when we go back to being in the office I want it to be say 2 weeks on, 4 weeks off. My dad is 7 hours away from me and getting old and feeble and needs kind of constant attention so he can live on his own [no, he doesnā€™t want to go to assisted living; heā€™d still need kind of constant attention, and heā€™s not suited for a nursing home], so Iā€™d need to be out for a couple weeks at a time to help siblings out as we all take turns with him. The easiest way to do that right now is to simply be WFH where it really doesnā€™t matter where Iā€™m at.

Iā€™m hopeful this will be the future weā€™re in store for. I think it was The Economist who made the argument that the whole concentration of working in an office is really just a remnant of what Industrialization did in bringing people from working in their individual homes to working in factories.

Of course thereā€™s still value in being in person for training and developing relationships, but I think thereā€™s a fair bit to be gained simply by being more thoughtful in how much in person work is done and where that in-person setting actually is.

If I go back in, it would be one or two days max per week. And even those days, Iā€™d probably go to lunch then head straight home afterward.

So a 2 hour day in the office?

Well, Iā€™d work from home the rest of the day. Beat the traffic and all.

Just go in for lunch. Especially if lunch is really good there.

2 Likes

:laughing: Iā€™m going in 2 days a week and Iā€™ll be leaving early those days to WFH.

1 Like

I was likely one of the first to be back in the office in May. Its 7 months later and only 1 of my friends are back at the office (and he is self employed at an office with 2 people).

Its a little weird knowing that everyone went into quarantine for almost 8 months when I only did 6 weeks. Some of the people I know that have been WFH all year seem like totally different people. Like a great stress was lifted from their shoulders, almost like a retired person feels.

I have mixed feelings about it. But I chose to be back at the office, it was not required. made this bed, lying in it now.

Yeah it has definitely affected me mentally. I had just changed jobs to one with a longer commute at the start of COVID and Iā€™ve yet to have to really do the commute. I was ready to feel a bit like Iā€™m just home for a couple hours in the evening and to sleep during the week and yet now Iā€™m here to read nap time story to my kids in the middle of the day.

I prefer working from home. My employer has hinted that they expect to be flexible, so I think it will generally come down to who my manager is at the time, and their preferences, but Iā€™d say most people in my department were pretty flexible prior to COVID, and we have done a good job managing the transition, so there really is no reason for management to ask everyone to be in 5 days a week. Iā€™d say I would go in a few days a month, or maybe up to twice a week, but unless the right people are also in on those days, it may not matter much unless the core team would agree on a set schedule.

1 Like

Been back since July.

Are there others there or just you?

I could go back right now and it would not be all that risky cause almost nobody else would be there. So far I only worked in the office a handful of days since this started in march. Usually I had a reason though to need to get away from my apartment