Will you get the vaccine as soon as available to you?

My wife and I finally were able to get signed up for vaccines. Both next Friday at a Kroger. She is going in earlier in the day than I can. Looking at the confirmations - it looks like I’m getting the J&J (says just one dose), she’s getting a two dose version. Didn’t see anywhere in the application process where you could opt for a preference.

1 Like

I’m surprised people are still getting J&J now. I think they say there is temporarily a J&J shortage right now due to that mess up at a J&J plant.

I don’t know what I’ll actually get - and I don’t care, but my confirmation page looked different from my wife’s. It was weird.

when I signed campbell up, she wanted J&J but would take whatever, the confirmation said Pfizer, but then magically when they called her to confirm, it was J&J. The place listed that they did both.

Symptoms I could associate with the vaccine hadn’t hit when I made that post. Now, about 3 hours later…that’s no longer the case. Don’t have the lethargy I did the first time, but I’m definitely less comfortable than I was at this point with the first one.

(I did have some COVID-like symptoms for 3 weeks in the fall, but PCR tests and antibody test were negative.)

2 Likes

In one of CT’s recent updates, they said that the state got only 6500 J&J doses this week, and is expecting 2k per week for the next couple of weeks. I imagine there is some kind of a lag between receipt and administering the jabs. So I wouldn’t necessarily count on the manufacturing issue to have hit the actual shot-giving, and even if it had, the supply isn’t dropping to zero.

That being said, the shortage is impacting plans for a clinic for UConn students. They were planning to give a bunch of J&J shots before students leave campus for spring break (the rest of the semester will be virtual). The clinic is still on, but they’ll be giving the first dose of Moderna instead (and leaving the students to find a second dose in their home locales).

Yeah, and now I’m trying to find the vaccines for my girls (16 & 17 years old) … I think only Moderna has been approved for 16+. I can’t get anything for D (he’s 14).

And I’ve been looking for J&J for Stu, but the website LIES. It says appointments are available, but then nada…

Luckily, Stu isn’t trying to go anywhere. He basically just picks our kids up from school, gets feed for the ducks, and goes to the cancer center.

Pfizer is the one that’s approved for 16 & 17 year olds.

Around here you must input the DOB for the person getting the shot, or use their MyChart account (which already knows their DOB/age).

As long as you’re inputting an accurate DOB, I don’t think they’ll let you register them for an appointment if they’re not planning on having Pfizer available. Now you definitely run a higher risk of them unfortunately running out and apologizing profusely when they reschedule you.

But the people giving the vaccine know far better than the average Joe which one is safe for 16-17 year-olds and I don’t think they expect you to figure that part out.

Pfizer has applied for EUA for age 12-15 already. So you might be able to vaccinate the whole clan.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. Three of my nephews are in that age range and one is high risk. One of the ones who’s not high risk participated in a trial, hoping to help protect his high-risk brother, but we still don’t know if he was in the 2/3 that got the vaccine or the 1/3 that didn’t. The high risk one wasn’t eligible for that trial. But he might be eligible once it’s in the EUA status.

17 yo received Pfizer Sat morning. Injection site soreness, slightly tired and mild headache Sunday. Slightly tired is nothing new for that teenager, so overall negative impacts low. Did complain that 2nd dose was also scheduled on a weekend.
College age child that had COVID in Oct will get first dose today. Expecting a little more in side effects, will see.
My second dose is tomorrow.
Glad to hear EUA application is now in process. If approved, that will cover all my kids, and we intend to have them vaccinated.

4 Likes

Can’t help but feel like this is dangerously close to bragging about having got the vaccine!

:judge: :judge:

i’m okay with bragging now. I don’t think it’s that hard for most people to get the vaccine anymore.

I’m confused how she got J&J though cause I don’t think that Javits was giving J&J the day Rachel went. I hope she really did get J&J. Cuomo purposely got J&J over the others to sell it to the public because it’s getting bad publicity. Also, hope he really got J&J and didn’t like secretly get one of the other two.

…in the US anyway.

The story is a bit different for Canadians and some Europeans.

right, i forgot. :grimacing: sorry to the canadians. not sure we have many europeans on here.

actually, didn’t a few canadians post that they got appointments?

are the issues in Canada (and Europe) one of national logistics, lack of national urgency or less access to the production?

I think their vaccine rollout is starting to pick up steam, but is still limited to essential workers and “seasoned” folks. It may vary by province.

I’m the only American on an otherwise Canadian team, and the only two doses of vaccine administered within the team have been mine.

Canada has no domestic production of vaccine, and has been having trouble obtaining it. The US decided to retain all of its own production, for instance.

hfbb?

Honestly, I’m not sure. I did read a WSJ article that seemed to suggest that the European rollout was slowed by a combination of (limited access to production not encumbered by “home country first” restrictions), (shopping for better price putting them further back in the vaccine order queue), and (priority being given to address equity concerns).

I don’t know whether those same factors apply to Canada.