Will you get the vaccine as soon as available to you?

I think there is some concern that the anti inflammatory properties of advil might reduce your immune response and therefore the vaccines efficacy.

I think the consensus now is it’s ok to take after you get side effects, but not a good idea to take prophylactically.

1 Like

You aren’t supposed to take NSAIDs BEFORE the dose, as it can interfere. Taking it a few hours after when side effects start is fine.

I’m Team Moderna. I get my Moderna booster tomorrow. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Here’s a CDC link that says what MH said: Possible Side Effects After Getting a COVID-19 Vaccine | CDC

emphasis added.

Also, from that “not recommended” link:

emphasis provided by the CDC, not me.

and now i’m really fucking tired. not sure if it’s from the vaccine or that mystery illness i had before.

If it is the vaccine, it’s a good sign to have side effects!

You should take 1 of each. If you’re mixing vaccines you might as well mix the painkillers

2 Likes

Hubby was told not to take ibuprofen afterwards. :woman_shrugging:

by whom? do you really need to be that smart to administer vaccines?

I dunno, one of the people working there. No clue if it was a nurse or a receptionist or ???, and certainly no clue what their medical background was.

I made the assumption that the person who decided to tell everyone that had some medical training, but that assumption might be false.

I guess I had a general sense that there was a chance that NSAIDs might interfere slightly, but the CDC doesn’t want to scare people off. But I might be making that up.

Ibuprofen dampens the immune system more than Tylenol, but if you have enough of an immune response that you feel crappy, you can afford to dampen it a little. So you shouldn’t take anything before the vaccine, but if you are really uncomfortable after, it’s okay to take something.

When they tested the vaccines, they told the volunteers that it was okay to take OTC meds for pain after, and a lot did, and the vaccines still looked good.

(That being said, I avoided immune-dampening drugs for a few days after my shots. I just took a nap, instead. Sleep is GOOD for the immune system.)

okay, in that case i’ll just suck it up and not take anything. it’s not that bad.

I can deal with aches and fatigue, but if I get a fever, I am helpless. Fortunately I can feel a fever coming on if I’m awake and will definitely take some Tylenol if it happens. More concerned I’ll get one tonight while I’m asleep and wake up at 3AM wanting to die, shivering in the shower for 45 minutes until the Tylenol kicks in.

Tylenol has some rapid release gel caps. I’ve never tried them, but they might be worth keeping on hand.

Man the day I got my first Mirena I drove straight from the doctor to the nearest drug store and bought Advil liqui-gels. I was NOT waiting until I got home AND the solid pills kicked in. I think I opened the packaging / bottle and took 3 before I even paid for them.

1 Like

I was still pretty dilated from pregnancy when I got my Mirena AND I loaded up on Tylenol before I had it put in, and it was still awful. Feel that.

1 Like

Man, I heard it wasn’t supposed to be as bad if you’d already given birth!

I wonder if there’s a timeframe on that. Like it’s not as bad if you gave birth at least 6 weeks before you get the Mirena.

All 3 kids got the first dose. They are doing great so far… we’ll see how tomorrow goes.

9 Likes

now i’m reminded why i was happy J&J was a single dose. this arm thing kinda sucks and i’m so tired.

still not sure if the tired is from the vaccine though since i’ve had issues lately. arm pain definitely is though.

i always thought the side effects were the next day, not the day of. i hope tomorrow isn’t worse.

I got my Pfizer booster yesterday and had definite arm soreness that night. Felt pretty shitty this afternoon and feel much better now. Had me some Advil and a nap.

3 Likes

also, in hindsight, choosing my right arm was not a great idea. i’m having trouble eating!

next vaccine, i’m going with left again.