Will you get the vaccine as soon as available to you?

Is there any word on the ideal length of time to wait before getting the booster?

I think my current plan is to schedule it 1-2 weeks before Thanksgiving, so I have maximum immunity at that time.

Got my first two Pfizer shots in March/April.

This doesn’t answer your question, but I found this:

“At least 12 days after receipt of the third dose, the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate was 11.3 times lower in the booster group than in the control group”

I have a slight fever. Moderna is hitting me harder than j&j did. Just laying in bed

1 Like

No reaction yet.
I feel like taking a nap, but that’s SOP for Saturday.

3 Likes

Moderna for the first two and the booster. I had the first two back in Jan/Feb timeframe.

Trying to sleep off the chills (with Tylenol) but can only sleep so much.

1 Like

ME TOO!!! :tup:

Interesting. I’ve had very little reaction at all. Put the lights on the Christmas tree, took the dogs for a walk earlier, & feel more or less normal.

1 Like

No one knows, yet. Eventually we will have some observational data on which timing seems to work best, but I don’t think there are any clinical studies on which timing.

My guess is that in a couple of years, we will give the first two Pfizer doses 4 weeks or more apart, not 3 weeks. But I don’t know if we’ll ever know what the ideal timing is for a booster.

To some extent, it’s going to vary from person to person, in ways that aren’t easy to measure. If you look at the scatter plots of immune response, the dots are all over the place. (And the dots from those who recovered from infection are even more widely scattered.) So some people likely still have good immunity after 9 months, and others would likely benefit from a booster at 4.

Immune response take a while to kick in, and probably peaks 2 to 4 weeks after immunization, though, so if you want to get it “for Christmas”, I’d do it no later than late November.

Fever up to 100

I think I’m going to do it in time for Thanksgiving. A sibling residing in a Covidy area is coming to visit and even though the whole family’s been vaccinated (6 yo only with one dose) it just seems prudent.

Also, spoke to a doctor friend of mine who thinks my original plan to boost Pfizer with Moderna is solid. She did the opposite: boosted Moderna with Pfizer. But she’s a pediatrician and had Pfizer at the office so she could just do it at work. But she thinks it’s better to mix and match regardless and said if she’d gotten Pfizer initially she’d have made a point to boost with Moderna.

(Yes, I realize I’m too old for a pediatrician, but hey, she went to medical school, which is more than I did.)

2 Likes

I hope you feel better soon. I’d definitely take acetaminophen for that if I were in your shoes. (And I might be in your shoes soon!)

Whelp, my friends with little kids have all gotten their kids vaccinated. There was some juggling involved.

4 Likes

Woke up feeling great. That’s a big relief.

Got our kids vaccinated yesterday (originally had them scheduled for Tuesday). Their pediatrician held a clinic for their patients.

Neither one even flinched and the 6 year old who literally bent the needle when he got his flu shot last year didn’t even notice it because they never showed him the needle. They’re going back in four weeks.

4 Likes

If it was anything like my moderna shot, I didnt feel it go in. It felt like he tapped me. I was confused. Based on the side effects a few hours later it definitely went in, but i was confused at the time.

I think I’m glad I picked right arm in the end. It hurt a ton the first day and was hard to use, but now it is down to slightly achey which would be impossibly to sleep on, but is functional otherwise.

2 Likes

Woke up Sunday morning with a sore arm but that’s the only malady that I attribute to the booster.

(I have some jaw pain, too, but I had that yesterday before the shot…it’s most likely related to my anti-snoring device…I just upped the “dosage” on that.)

I lost 3 pounds from barely eating since friday. Weird, assuming my scale is right.

? It’s not even Thanksgiving yet. You already have your Christmas tree up?

2 Likes

oh, one side effect i had that i didn’t realize was a side effect, but my sister has exactly the same one, is extremely thirsty after the vaccine that cannot be satisfied. i thought that was just a me thing. apparently it’s a vaccine thing.

Oh yeah. I went through about 128 oz of Gatorade and double that in water in the 48 hours after my second shot.

1 Like

I think I remember the instructions said to pre-hydrate before you get the shot.