Will Smith

i didn’t know she had alopecia until now, and i’m sure almost everyone in the country now knows it.

I couldn’t tell you one movie or actor/actress up for an award, but I knew Jada had alopecia because it was on the local news awhile back when she went public with a shaved head.

thus far he hasn’t apologized, and i’m guessing he won’t at this point.

I don’t think the divorce rate is a reasonable proxy for “no longer attracted to”.

For all of the possible reasons people might get divorced, I think “no longer attracted to” is pretty far down the list.

1 Like

I would posit based on Will’s remarks of “Keep MY wife’s name out of your effing mouth” that this stew in his gut started well before the remarks were made about her hair. The MY shows me he took this as an affront to himself not her or it at least gave him something outside of himself to go up there and do something about the jokes being directed at them (him). Just my two cents.

I don’t think so. He was laughing. I think he noticed his wife was upset, and that’s when he got upset.

I think less of both of them for this. Rock for the misogynist joke, and Smith for the physical violence.

But at least Smith apologized. And it was a nice apology.

I was in a meeting around year end and a female manager told one of my male coworkers that he needed to smile more. I did not find this to be a sexist comment but maybe I am missing something. Is it because it was female to male interaction or because it might just be a lighthearted comment and not a sexist comment?

Personally, I would assume it was a satirical comment based on the common mysogonist theme. Possibly an inside joke for them.

2 Likes

Chivalry is toxic masculinity?

(I need more politics in my goactuary!)

Violence <> Chivalry

In the particular case I am referring to, it was intended as a light hearted comment. The guy who said it is a very nice man who smiles quite a bit himself so prefers the “honey” over “vinegar” approach, but there are plenty of men with similar demeanors to whom he has never uttered the phrase. That is almost certainly a function of the fact of its history and traditional expectations of women to be pretty and friendly. Pretending this type of comment, in this general direction (male to female) doesn’t have a significant history of condescension and sexism is simply tone deaf.

And yes, it is different when it is a female saying it to a male. Just like a black person calling an adult white male boy would be different, with different connotations, than a white person calling an adult black male boy. It is about an historical power imbalance that has made progress, but still exists in many ways.

3 Likes

pretty sure you could get beheaded for saying that in the days of chivalry.

Eh, I think people are reading more into that than is reasonable. I think it was at least partly and maybe wholly him still laughing at the prior joke (about another nominee hoping that he would lose and Will Smith would win… which wasn’t really funny either except that if you’re Will Smith maybe it was actually kind of funny).

They’d been laughing for a while. I think it naturally takes a minute to switch gears, process something like that, and you say to yourself “haha, that’s pretty fun… wait a second did he just make fun of my wife’s alopcecia? That’s not funny at all. In fact, that’s a total dick move.”

3 Likes

If I was a cartoonist, I would illustrate this thread with a bunch of blind-folded men walking into the same brick wall ten times in a row asking “what brick wall… what brick wall?”.

1 Like

While the dank internet might not be the best place for workshopping our internal prejudices, it’s probably better here than nowhere.

Yeah, that’s a good point. And he probably did enjoy the prior joke about him. Doesn’t really change my impression. He realized his wife had been insulted either way.

But I don’t think he’d been “stewing”.

1 Like

I agree with you that this conversation will go nowhere. I also think you are close on your statements. I’d adjust it a little bit to say that it isn’t that things go unnoticed, it’s that the things are interpreted in a different manner. Some examples that I’ve seen given on mansplaining or misogyny appear to be “ball busting” if it was a male to male encounter. Ball busting can be an inclusive activity that shows a bond between men. So in some cases what the man intended to be inclusive is interpreted by the woman as exclusive.

That sounds awfully close to boys will be boys and that is not what I mean. Men need to learn that those behaviors are damaging their relationships and adjust accordingly. Also, I am not referring to any of the experiences shared in this thread as those all are dominance based which is a problem.

I think “ballbusting” is confusing.
“Mansplaining” I think? means explaining something to a woman who is more experienced than you.
And is only sexist when you wouldn’t try to explain the same thing to man who is more experienced than you.
I’d wager that “mansplaining” is easily confused with “I’m on the internet and therefore know everything”.
Maybe also easily confused with “I’m just naturally argumentative”, which might be more common for men (‘ballbusting’) but is absolutely true of the females in my family.

What brick wall? I don’t remember talking about brick walls…

Anyway I think you excluded the part before the “OR” because I was asking a serious question and @Kenny explained that it was the first part of the “OR statement” that was true (implying the second part was not true) in that it is different when it is a female to male interaction. Kenny explained very well with reasons why it is the first part and that makes sense to me.

So in the future please don’t assume everyone is an a**hole on here and some people are asking serious questions and want to learn more about this world

Both Joe Rogan and his guest said they had no idea Jada had a hair condition. It seems like a lot of the celebrities commenting have no idea she has a condition either. I don’t think it’s right to assume that everyone in the entertainment industry knows about it, even if she’s public about it. She’s not Angelina Jolie.

Also, who put a time limit on this thread? I don’t recall anything that warrants this.