Will Smith

would really make a scene considering he won best actor :joy:

Ahh yes the “pointing out misogyny is sexist” angle. You’re late.

1 Like

I think you did more than that. You were womansplaining how men feel about certain things

3 Likes

:popcorn:

5 Likes

Lol, I literally said I didn’t condone misogynistic comments and the implications of what Chris Rock said. Notice I’m not calling Tiffany out for sexist comments for believing what he said was misogynistic. Actually, those comments gave me a fresh perspective and I was able to see how something could be hurtful beyond a crack at alopecia patients.

Meanwhile, you think that because you are not a “dude”, that it gives you the free pass to exude such negative views specifically towards “dudes”. Naw, your comments are sexist. Tiffany’s comparison to a man losing his balls to cancer, I disagreed with, but certainly don’t think sexist. I just disagreed with that. Again, she brought up a point I hadn’t thought of. Some of your comments, however, are like MAGA hat level nonsense.

1 Like

What I find interesting about this and I’ve never thought about before is that women view their hair as an intrinsic part of being a woman while men don’t. I think this is why there is such a split in the arguments here that appear to be down gender lines. This very much reminds me of that dress thing awhile back where everyone was convinced that their perspective was objectively the correct one.

1 Like

My theory is that it is a little more than that.

I think that men tend to identify with will smith. That means they often see it as a violent display of dominance, because this is a kind of male power fantasy.

Women tend to identify with jada pinket smith. They think about how hard it would be to lose their hair, and then to have it joked about. This leads to a more nuanced set of emotions.

I’m a woman last I checked and I think the joke wasn’t funny, but comes with the territory of a roast type comedy show.

4 Likes

On the plus side, the show would have ended on time, by which I mean only a half hour late.

See, I disagree with men relating to Will Smith. I can see myself getting in someone’s face for verbally abusing my wife or something, but hitting Chris Rock for that was absolute BS. I love Will Smith, but lost a lot of respect for him for that. If I relate to anyone in this scenario, I would actually relate more to Chris Rock, where I can see myself telling a joke that I really meant nothing by and someone getting ticked off by it, when my intention was never to hurt anyone’s feelings. That said, I would never have made that joke. I’m not a fan of jokes about people’s physical attributes for the reason of what happened there.

See, if I was in Will Smith’s shoes, and I HAD to go up there, I would’ve said “Yeah Chris, great joke poking fun at my wife’s alopecia. Are any handicapped people in the audience you would like to make fun of next?” You know… make it really awkward, but hitting him was just a wuss move, not a “manly” move.

5 Likes

Interesting in that he didn’t do anything until Jada gave him the go-ahead. Note he was laughing at the joke and she was eye-rolling and slightly steaming.
Also, both are multi-millionaires. You sit in the front row of The Oscars, and you’re gonna take some licks.

So, on another note: Over/Under on date that divorce papers are filed? May 1.

1 Like

I don’t mean that you approve of what he did.

But it sounds like you are still putting yourself in his shoes. You are imagining whether you would get in someone’s face.

You aren’t imagining what it would be like to have somebody make a joke about your hair, for example, or some other thing, and your wife getting up and slapping somebody for it.

1 Like

Yes, I see what you’re saying. Good point.

I’ll take the over. Unless you’re talking May 1, 2023, then I take the under.

1 Like

so what if it was Kevin Hart in the front row wearing a blue shirt with white pants. And Chris Rock makes the joke “so, kevin, smurfs 2?”

will every man in the universe be offended? If you think not, please examine why

Stopped reading because it seemed to boil down to:

Some GoA Women: A lot of us feel this way.

Some GoA Men: Women don’t feel that way.

Some GoA Women: Actually, we d…

Some GoA Men: How could we ever know?

Some GoA Women: Uhh…

Some GoA Men: Let’s go ask more men.

4 Likes

One thing I’m not clear on . . . perhaps I’m missing something . . .

Is military service somehow unfeminine?

For reference, when I went through basic training, females and males got a “close” haircut upon induction (FTR, this is the Army and female hair length at this point was a bit longer; but not by much, IMO).

I’m trying to see where the reference to G.I. Jane made the implication of the statement “unfeminine” . . .

Yep, this. Happens all the time. It’s where the misogyny comes in. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Interesting differences in opinion from other forums.

The golf forum I post on: consensus is mainly Will Smith was way off base and Chris Rock’s joke was distasteful but not unexpected given the format.

The UK fan board (very Trumpy crowd): Will Smith is displaying signs of cuckold rage and Jada has basically driven him crazy with her cheating and their dysfunctional relationship

Here: Women don’t deserve to have bald jokes made on them and men are mansplaining it away when we bring up how long men have had blad jokes made on their behalf

1 Like

Just curious at what your definition of “misogyny” is?

To me, it’s a deeply ingrained hatred and/or fear of women. Which differs from (male) sexism (to me) which is that men are better than women.