Will Smith

That’s fair. I just don’t think Chris Rock was even thinking about that when he made the joke, likely because he’s a dude and not a woman. It almost certainly didn’t occur to him that that would be an implication of the joke.‘I’m not saying it’s ok, but I’m also not condemning comedians from telling jokes, especially at a celebrity’s expense. I just can’t imagine being a celebrity and not having a thick skin to jokes or outright criticisms.

if he has no control over his actions, he will. he probably shouldn’t though. there is also a big difference between a comedy act where the entire point is to take jabs at the audience and the joke wasn’t funny and someone mocking a chick in the school yard during recess.

That’s weak sauce imo. If I joke about something sensitive-- let’s say how your spouse died-- the topic matters more than the vaguely positive connotation.

I thought i read that chris rock did not know about the alopecia. In that case he would have thought he was making a joke about a freely chosen hair style.

Yes, but this specific topic, in comparison to what comedians are used to, is nothingburger. Comedians joke about rape and death all the time. You can argue that they shouldn’t, but that’s a different issue.

One of my best friends wore a hat every day for years because he lost his hair starting around 20. We used to joke with his girlfriend about whether he wore the hat when they were having sex he wore it so much.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m out of touch here, but I don’t think your spouse got raped jokes would fly at the Oscars either?

1 Like

yeah, i’d imagine losing your hair at age 20 for a man is going to be a lot worse than losing it when you’re in your 30’s or 40’s.

1 Like

maybe not personal like that, but Ricky Javais made a joke that most of the people at the golden globes were friends with Jeffrey Epstein during the golden globes.

Also cracked fun at Leonardo Dicaprio basically being a pedophile and even Prince Andrew would make fun of Leo for dating so young.

This. It’s really not complicated.

And yet the men still go on … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Sounds like my other BIL, I don’t think I’ve seen him without a hat in years except for a brief moment. Honestly his (mostly now) bald head looks a bit like a cancer patient because it’s so pale because he’s always wearing a hat.

Does make me wonder if the hat made things worse though… certainly having a pale bald head doesn’t help.

1 Like

I’m not a comedian, or a captain, or a dude, or a wife, or a biologist, or a sock; I’m just a kid so I should probably keep quiet, but I don’t think physical violence is necessarily the inevitable natural consequence of essentially a celebrity roast comment, as tasteless or personally hurtful as it may be.

5 Likes

I wonder how many times Chris Rock has been attacked over the years.

::cough:: sexist comment ::cough::

You have put more thought to this joke than Chris Rock did in the 2 seconds it took him to think of it and say it. Meanwhile, there are plenty of women who would say the same thing to Jada, but calculated with intent to be hurtful. I think normal people wouldn’t be cool with either. :man_shrugging:

Now you know what I’m thinking?

For a guy who doesn’t like the term mansplaining - you sure do a lot of it. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Let’s all stop trying to one up each other on who gets more butthurt over whichever issue.

You’re trying to shut down GoA?

3 Likes

Actually, I would have thought the proper response would have been for the Smiths to get up and walk out and boycott the rest of the show.

I’m fairly certain that I would not slap or pop another person for insulting me or my wife or kids or anyone I feel the need to protect. I might yell/scream at them, but unless they began the violence, I would not respond with violence. But that is probably me whitesplaining things.

For a person who hates sexist bullstuff, you sure spew out quite a bit of it.