Will Elon unite us?

Exactly. It’s his show. He can do what he wants. He’s not a journalist. Additionally, he’s had folks that support the vaccine.

But why doesn’t he? He just got this deal with spotify for $20M or similar.

You can do evil through negligence. It doesn’t have to be intentional. And there is going to be a lot of behavior that cannot be made illegal, but is still immoral.

1 Like

Because his audience doesn’t want it?

I think it’s intentional.

He started the podcast with just casual conversations in his man cave. I don’t think he ever expected it to be this big. Should the way he conducts his podcast be changed just because it’s now the #1 podcast? Honest question because I’m not sure.
And the reason it got so popular is probably because it’s not so heavily produced and edited, and that he allows all voices.
It’s also why he’s able to get guests who otherwise would not go on primetime just to be attacked by the other side.

Yes, i think he should.

When his guests make statements of value, then i think it is fine for him to not challenge them.

But when they make statements of fact that are in error, then as a contributor to public discourse he has an ethical and civic obligation to identify those errors.

1 Like

I’m not sure if he knows those statements are made in error though. Or it could be that he’s stoned.

Again, that’s part of why people like to watch his show, because he’s not toxically confrontational.

Correcting facts does not have to be toxically confrontational. I don’t like that on shows either.

I suspect he doesn’t know the comments are made in error. I think that is part of the problem and that he should know if he is going to lend these people his huge microphone.

That people enjoy hearing falsehoods on his show (mixed with true things) is not particularly morally relevant as far as i’m concerned.

2 Likes

I suppose I need to see more of the falsehoods he’s letting slide. If it’s some statistically thing then I can understand not being able to call them out on the spot.

He is quite an inquisitive person - part of the reason he’s able to hold a conversation for 3 hours on the fly, and that his guests are willing to sit through it with him.

1 Like

Musk seems to have gone off the deep end on Twitter the last week or two. I think he got sucked into the world of fox news stupidity after he offered to buy Twitter.

yeah he’s getting increasingly involved with politics. not sure it’s the smartest thing. if he’s trying to be tony stark it not rubbing off the right way

I don’t really understand the point of him letting everyone know who he is voting for and such. I mean, it was pretty obvious who he was voting for, based on takes that he has had, but to clearly claim it is weird. And I would say this regardless of affiliation. I feel like most businesses should be MOSTLY apolitical because you’re needlessly alienating a large swath of potential customers, as well as employees, for the sake of… what… lack of self-control? Now, I know Elon is not a “business”, but he is the face of 2 very important companies, one publicly traded. He is on the verge of acquiring a third. There are plenty of companies before him that are very outwardly liberal, but it’s just not good for business to take polarizing stands. On the other hand, I’m posting on GoActuary and these people are running companies worth billions upon billions, so what do I know?

At this point I’d be surprised if the Twitter acquisition goes through. I was skeptical he would swing it initially, and with Tesla stock tanking I think it’s less likely. Could he take on leverage and do it? Likely. Would he? Doubt it.

Just looking at the stock price, it seems that a lot of folks are agreeing with you.

Would you look at Elon Musk’s genitals for $250k?

I have to admit, I did not have that one on my Elon Musk bingo card, so was a little surprised to see that one. Not surprisingly, given his personality, he’s treating that news story like it’s a joke. I have to admit, I sincerely hope it’s BS because Tesla and SpaceX are far more important to mankind than Twitter and his politics.

I think he’s getting old. And all he really has left right now is his own dankness.

So Elon has sure taken an extreme stance on return to work

and once again he’s wrong. he sure likes being wrong a lot recently

A minimum of 40 hours a week in the office? Screw that.

The entire office resigns. He’s alone