Why doesn't Canada build more houses?

I think condos are great. If the condo market crashes I’ll get in there fast.

Mark it zero

It’s simpler than that, Chinese citizens are quite concerned about some future Chinese government confiscating their assets, so they like buying things overseas and so outside the reach of the Chinese government.

1 Like

In effect, we are exporting our land in exchange for importing junk we often don’t need.
Seems like a good deal to me.

1 Like

I’ve learned how overrated land is since I started having to mow it

3 Likes

We replaced our front yard this year with river rock and plants, never mowing that again is definitely one of the benefits. The back yard doesn’t get mowed, we use a weed whacker because it doesn’t have to look nice, it’s just a spot for the neighborhood cats to lay and the dog to pee (he does #2 in the rocks around our pool, no idea why, but it’s certainly easier to get rid of that way).

I’ve always hated mowing, except when I lived in a place big enough for a riding mower. Maybe I didn’t live there long enough for it to feel like a hassle, but I really enjoyed tooling around on the riding mower.

2 Likes

Relevant news article:

Having looked at apartments for richer folk in Manhattan like my sister recently because she’s looking to buy, what I don’t get is, okay, you got this apartment that’s 2 times the size of my place, but the kitchen still basically sucks and not much or any better than mine. Why are all these apartments made with the most idiotic kitchens? I think with super recent real estate, they got it together and realized just because you live in Manhattan doesn’t mean you don’t want a decent kitchen, but this is very recent.

What makes a kitchen idiotic?

tiny with miniature appliances, and no room for a full sized refrigerator, so they put said refrigerator in the foyer rather than the kitchen or have a miniature refrigerator to fit it.

or in the case of some really bad ones, it’s just a few appliances off to the side of the livingroom and no real kitchen at all.

i convinced my sister she needed to buy this place even though the refrigerator was in the foyer because it was super nice and maybe possible to extend the kitchen if you can remove walls. She wound up losing out though cause she wasn’t willing to go up to 1.55 million. oh well.

I’ve been going to showings and kitchens can be really bad sometimes.

Actually that sounds pretty terrible. Why was the fridge in the foyer?

because they wanted larger appliances than the kitchen could hold while still having counter space. there is this new thing where refrigerators are put behind what looks like cabinets, so this one didn’t look terrible in the foyer to me. the foyer is right outside the kitchen and separate from the livingroom. if you could knock down walls or wall up the 2nd door (there are two front doors to this apartment) you could sort of join them together. i was suggesting she do that if she took the place.

Your fridge is in another room. That’s bad.
You walk out your front door and you’re in Manhattan. That’s good.

The kitchen guy who did our cabinets said that we have more cabinets than any kitchen he’s done in his career. Plus a large island and it’s still roomy. But
I dontw walk out my front door into Manhattan.

how much does 1.5 million buy in Manhatttan?

around 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment with a doorman and full service building. varies depending on where in manhattan though. 1100 square feet or so.

oh geez that’s pretty small

I’m looking at $650k for maybe 1700 sq ft and I thought that was expensive.

it’s about perspective. i think 1100 square feet is MASSIVE! my apartment is maybe half that.