Why doesn't Canada build more houses?

The person I sold my condo to (luxury high rise in high COL area) a few years ago was the only offer I got and it was just a rich asian dad buying his daughter a condo because she was starting university here.

My conclusion is the real reason the kids are there are because they are bargaining chips in a larger political game.

That is happening by me in the po. Does Canada have a moratorium on evictions and foreclosures? I sort of assumed things would pop once those expire here.

Yeah houses between 1-2 mil in my area are gone within the day and often 200-300k over asking with every contingency waived.

People are rich, and they are hungry.

Checked out some listings in Winnipeg. Very ordinary 1000 sq ft homes are listed for 350k Cdn.

that’s extreme. things that are priced well in manhattan go fast and you can normally tell what’s going fast. i haven’t seen 200-300k above asking though. if they are going that much above asking, why is asking so low?

some things do still sit on the market here though if there is something wrong with it.

Beats me. we sold our house for 300k over listed and that’s already on top of a listed price that we thought was far fetched (we didn’t really want to sell the house because dogs).
Our friends in the same area had similar experience (in fact, we listed our house because we wanted to see how crazy the market really was because theirs sold at such a ridiculous price), 200k over, cash, 2 week close.
Our realtor said she has never seen anything like this before. Houses are getting like 10-20 offers.

1 Like

Now, condos are the other hand (which I guess you new yorkers call apartments, same difference I guess), are not doing well.

in manhattan, there are condos and co-ops that are both apartments. condos are more desirable because i think you have more control over renting it out or something and go for more. with co-ops you need to get board approval to do stuff to your place. they are a similar idea though.

1 Like

Were you planning to move? The trouble seems to be you sell your house but then you’ve just thrown yourself into that very market on the other side

We broke up. I was moving out anyway and he was gonna stay at the house with dogs. But now we’re both renting since the offer was impossible to turn down.

Our neighbors (who had the same house by the same builder) are considering selling theirs too after seeing ours, and just rent till the market crashes. But they have kids so it’s harder for them.

also, in manhattan, it depends on the area of manhattan and the kind of place you’re looking for. in looking at the apartment i own in my building with the same line, i don’t think i’d make much of a profit on it, so not worth it to me.

once my sister gets to selling her place where she lives, i expect she’ll make a huge profit. she also bought an estate apartment that was in shitty shape and fixed it up to be really nice and in a super desirable area.

Well the idea is to sell the house, rent until market crashes (rents are very cheap right now, especially near downtown where no one works), and then buy when the market crashes.

I’d be afraid to sell my home right now for the simple fact that I might not have one to move into.

Makes sense, yeah it’d be tricky with kids/uprooting/etc but great if you have flexibility

So, buy the dip?? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’m constantly looking at real estate in my building, and it looks like my neighbors are about to sell their place. I have a HUGE concern about who will buy this place since that neighbor has been relatively quiet lately. If it’s a family with kids, as I suspect it will be since the place is huge, I might have no choice but to sell my place to not risk my own sanity.

children are loud. i do not like them.

try them. try them. try them and you may I say

2 Likes

There’s a house at the top of my street that has been for sale a good 2-3 weeks. I find it odd that it’s been on the market so long.

ETA: the For Sale sign is gone. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Slight tangent, but I just ran across this and thought it was maybe of interest: