Where to spend my excess electricity

Hot tub

2 Likes

I’ve considered the Tesla roof, but it would produce way more electricity than we use.

I’m not sure if it makes sense to replace the gas hot water heater and gas furnace before the old ones die, but certainly when they’re up for replacement anyway then replace with electric.

And free power for a substantial portion of the year definitely makes fully electric or plug-in hybrids more attractive.

1 Like

Autonomous Drone Army to guard your property

1 Like

At first I thought you were suggesting that I would need this if I had a Tesla roof and I was wondering if theft of electricity-producing roof tiles was actually a thing.

Then I realized you probably mean that’s a way for 1695814 to use up excess electricity.

I obviously haven’t had my coffee yet today.

1 Like

Can’t they adjust how many roof tiles are ‘active’ vs ‘passive’ to basically adjust the output to whatever you’d like?

Powering more drones to harvest material, convert it to wire, then make paper clips.

2 Likes

I thought they already had robots to do that.

Yes, they can. But the passive tiles are crazy expensive compared to regular roofing materials. So you get the most bang for your buck if you go all in on producing electricity and then converting as much of your energy consumption as possible to electricity.

I’d get the tiles if my roof needed replacing.
But, I have another 60 years of life on my Spanish Tiles, which I don’t want to cover up with panels. Also, a special bracket is required, not just bolting them straight into the roof.

And, you’d think since Spanish tiles are so expensive there there should be a market for my half-used tiles and I could sell them back to pay for a regular roof. Nah. Market for used tiles is about a tenth the price of new ones.

Heated driveway and sidewalks to eliminate snow removal.

2 Likes

Build a huge Van de Graaff generator.

1 Like

Build a giant space laser and start fires in California.

2 Likes

169… is Jewish??

no, and I’m afraid I don’t get the reference. :2pac: :handpuppets:

I just entered a t-mobile sweepstakes to win a tesla. I think my problem is solved.

Also, t-mobile just gave me a free redbox code. If you’d like it post about it here.

Create hydrogen and oxygen using electrolysis.

Ours is going to need replacing soon enough that we really ought to get on the wait list if we’re going to do it.

So it’s decision time…

I’ve checked them out, and I’m not sure they (Tesla tiles) are any better than the best panels. They cost more, but look nice (almost as if you don’t have solar, because they will match (closely) the non-solar tiles). Maybe are as efficient, maybe last as long. Nice warranty, but they can still break down.

Tesla Solar Roof Tiles vs Solar Panels - Forme Solar.

Also, Tesla is apparently going to go gangbusters on their solar tiles in the coming year (which is a third over already). So, lots of installations and stuff.
For my house, Tesla web site recommended a 16.4kW replacement tile system that would cost $66,000, and I that might not include installation. It also recommended four power bricks at 22K per. That’s a big layout for what is essentially an investment in the resale. (I figure we’re here for another 10 years, and next owner will pay me more and reap the benefits.)

Tesla Solar panels (16.3kW) on my existing roof would cost only $26,000, but that probably does not include the special brackets and possibly not installation. Save $112,000 over 25 years, allegedly. (90% of my current bill gone.)
But, that was assuming a $400 average bill. Last check, mine were only $200 average, but during a rare heat wave as much as $600.
For my supposed needs, an 8.16kW Panel System would cost $13,000, so I definitely think the estimates are without installation costs.

You didn’t know? The Jews and their worldwide cabal operate those space lasers and start fires!!

wow. :tmyk: