Where did you meet your signficant other?

Curious minds want to know!

well,
went to same HS, two grades apart, she dated a friend of mine. Pictures show we were at the same parties. Both of us claim we don’t remember meeting.

Four years later I am on LIRR for job interview. See HS friend, talking old times, she knows him and we all talk rest of trip.

Two weeks later, another friend, no connection to either HS friend gives me her number as a blind date.

We tell people the train

3 Likes

At Target. In the gazebo section.

2 Likes

My Targets never have a gazebo section

2 Likes

We were childhood friends.

Grew up together, my wife’s brother was in my HS class. We dated off and on in HS and summers when I was home for college. Yada yada yada, been married 22 years.

1 Like

I was driving home from school for Thanksgiving and took a few riders. She was one.

I had been doing the taxes of a friend at my first job. When I moved away for job #2, we agreed to meet at a major airline hub a few hours’ drive away from job #1 for me to do her taxes.

My future wife had just dumped her fiancée after discovering that he had been hooking up with a friend, and needed to get away from all the friends and family that had been pressuring her to forgive him. So, my friend invited her along for the weekend.

5 Likes

Went to the same high school. Had a basketball open gym that was coed since too many boys were playing football and too many girls playing volleyball we couldn’t have our own open gyms. She was on my team and I threw her a no look pass and hit her in the nose. Sat with her on the sidelines and the rest is history

4 Likes

Buffalo Gap

I was bartending at a chi-chis(i always ran two jobs when i was young). Two couples, my now spouse, and her previous live in boy friend came in to.eat. The women stayed at the table to chat after dinner, the guys came into the bar area. My now bil starts chatting me up, asking if im single because he knows someone etc.
The women eventually joined them in the bar area. My spouses ex starts drinking like an asshole so i cut him off. Only person id ever cut off (its a family restaurant fer cryin out loud). They left, the guy i cut off ripped the mailbox off the wall on the way out. But my now- bil left a 2 dollar bill with my spouses phone number on it. Still have the bill somewhere in our old albums.

Thats a lot to parse, but it was:
My bil and his wife, who is my spouse’s identical.twin.
Another couple.
My now spouse.
My bil’s brother, who used to live with my spouse bit they werent together at the time. Yeah, it was twins, dating brothers.

Even better, because this guy was family, we saw quite a bit of him through the years. We used to hire him for renos. My spouse did admit it was a bit weird making lunch and then sitting at the table eating with her husband and her ex lol.

4 Likes

Ah yes, the old met my wife doing taxes. A tale as old as time.

Thats a good story to.add air quotes to that one. I was “doing her taxes”.

Prior to the edit, he did refer to the inviter as FWB so I was picturing a penthouse forum weekend.

The friend in question was a single parent who had been unable to find a babysitter for the weekend, so any such plans would have had to have been toned down.

Especially when it came to removing mailboxes.

2 Likes

We went to the same football game at one point, but didn’t meet until 6 years later, thru a friend at church. I still remember our friend saying “My college friend [mrs g’s maiden name] is moving here.” I thought, hmm, i wonder if she’s nice.

2 Likes

2018 AO Potacular Airbnb in Nashville.

3 Likes

Obligatory Brady Bunch gif:

1 Like

Went to middle/high school together. Started dating in high school.

Hosted a super bowl party and my good friend / boss brought one of his friends from college. We ended up hanging out a few more times before dating later that summer.

My parents have a much better story. They were both dressed up as different Marx Brothers at a Halloween party and my dad (groucho?) asked my mom (harpo?) to dance. They had been at gatherings together before but never spoken. Many years later, my dad told my mom that he wanted to meet her and found out before the party what she would be dressed as. They’ve been married 42 years now.

5 Likes