When do you put up Christmas decorations?

Got the tree up yesterday while the kids were home plus about 50% other inside stuff. Lights and other out outdoor decorations up today and the rest of the inside stuff.

Took a bit longer than I expected bc I needed to wash the gutters. The prior owner paid someone to clean and paint the gutters every year. I’m fairly certain the paint they used is the cause bc it collects dirt. My entire life (I have lived in 11 houses, at least 5 has gutters) I have never myself had, or remember my parents having, to wash the gutters. Clean out leaves, sure, but my current gutters turn almost black if you leave them too long. Does anyone else have to wash their gutters? This paragraph probably belongs in the annoyed thighs thread, especially since I tours it in my phone and had to correct too many errors.

2 Likes

Might do it tomorrow. Might wait until next weekend.

1 Like

Ours collect grit from the asphalt shingles, which then turns to mud because it rarely rains here and they get dusty, so that muck gets cleaned out every ten years or so. Otherwise no problem. We have screens on them to keep out any stray leaves, but those aren’t really an issue anymore since the neighbor got rid of their sycamore tree.

1 Like

Never heard of this. In MN, we had a number of oak tress on our property & they filled up the gutters every year. Even worse, the back yard only had a downspout on one side & the gutters were tilted the wrong direction. I eventually got those leaf-less-gutters & it worked really well.

1 Like

Saw an Advent calendar with Hans Gruber falling floor a day off the Nakatomi Plaza.

2 Likes

I’m not talking about crap in the gutter. The front and bottom of the gutters accumulate dirt (and probably grit from the shingles) turning white gutters grimey.

1 Like

I have never cleaned the outside of a gutter, no.

When the contractor put in a new baseboard unit he asked if i wanted them to paint it to match the rest of the bathroom. I declined. It’s a slightly different shade of white from anything else in the bathroom, but that factory-applied cooked-on paint stays looking good forever, and latex paint doesn’t.

Yeah that must have something to do with the paint. Maybe you need a slicker paint like an enamel.

1 Like

OK, trees are up. Yes, artificial. Yes, plural. One for the presents, one for the tall foyer (would be cool if it came close to the ceiling, but that might require me to decorate and get chastised for my choices of what goes in front and “that’s too similar to that one next to it” and all that crap that resulted in my not helping ever again with the decorating, only the mindless grunt work of assembling trees, but I have digressed not yet enough…).

We normally do it the day after Thanksgiving, but this year my MIL stayed here for three days at Thanksgiving so that my wife could make a banner for her. It’s a long story and my whole family is pissed off and stressed out and we haven’t done a tree yet.

2 Likes

Just put up most of the outside lights. Indoor stuff and the rest of outside (inflatable polar bears and some lasers) will go up next weekend

1 Like

Have you considered the repercussions?

3 Likes

Put up lights this weekend.

3 Likes

Still not convinced that Die Hard is a Christmas movie. I accept that other people do see it as such, though.

1 Like

Maybe an Advent movie?

2 Likes

Youll have to declare your definition of “Christmas Movie” and then we will debate that.

It was warmer than usual the last two weeks so I have been slowly putting the outdoor decorations out before Thanksgiving. I did not turn on the lights though until Friday

I asked DeepAI What is a Christmas movie? and is “Die Hard” a Christmas movie? I figured its answer could be a neutral place to start.

A Christmas movie is a film that is centered around the celebration and spirit of Christmas. These movies often focus on themes such as love, family, friendship, and the importance of kindness and giving. They typically feature Christmas-related elements like Santa Claus, holiday decorations, traditions, and the joyous atmosphere of the holiday season.

As for “Die Hard,” it is a popular action film that takes place during Christmas time. While it does involve some Christmas references and features a holiday backdrop, it is primarily known for its action-packed plot rather than being centered around the Christmas theme. There is an ongoing debate among fans whether “Die Hard” can be considered a Christmas movie. Some argue that its Christmas setting and the concept of reuniting with loved ones make it a non-traditional but still valid holiday film. Others believe that its focus on action and suspense overshadows any Christmas elements it may possess. The classification of “Die Hard” as a Christmas movie tends to vary depending on personal interpretation and individual perspective.

So my first question would be: Does a movie have to be about Christmas itself to qualify as a Christmas movie?

Mods, can you move posts starting with my first reply to OldTimer to a separate thread called “What makes a movie a Christmas movie?” or something like that so we don’t interfere with discussions about decoration?