What's your favourite fish to eat?

I have heard this, that ‘sea bass’ is a somewhat nebulous term. I’m not a connoisseur by any means, I’ve had something called sea bass quite a few times and it’s always been really good.

My company used to take us out to lunch at PF Chang’s quite a bit (baller alert), and they had an oolong marinated sea bass dish that was quite good, imo.

I think that’s what I like. Chilean sea bass. I remember buying it at wholefoods and that’s what I remember I liked, at least texture.

It’s extreme soft, almost buttery. Flakes and melts in your mouth when cooked.

The fish I had in mind was what I had in asia as a kid. I don’t know what the English name is, I assumed sea bass because Chilean sea bass was close to it. I’m guessing the fish there isn’t “Chilean”, but texture wise it’s very similar.

Do you actually mean bass, which I like or Patagonian Tooth Fish which if cooked properly I find almost too light and if over cooked becomes pillow foam.

We get our fish pretty much right off the boat. half-mile from my house, all the fish there was caught the night before or that morning.

We get all sorts:

whiting
cod
fluke
striped bass
bluefish
halibut

And:
shrimp
clams
scallops

they sell lobster and oysters, too, but we think they are both gross.

1 Like

Oh I LOVE lobster but I have only had it properly one time. But I remember a Boston vacation getting a lobster sandwich and it was the most amazing—and most expensive—sandwich I ever had.

I got some lobster ravioli at Sam’s Club last month but I don’t think it had much lobster in it.

My daughter thought she hated fish until she had fried catfish in Louisiana last summer. Now she’ll eat it but only fried. She will eat shrimp occasionally.

I’m not very good at cooking most fish except salmon. Salmon is pretty easy.

You like clams but find oysters gross?

Maybe you are too far south for good oysters and lobster. They are both cool-water animals that are best when they are healthy. I love lobster, but don’t eat it except in NE.

Lobster Roll - most likely

1 Like

Since we’re including crustaceans, roughly in order:

• Crab
  • Shrimp
  • Fried (usually cod)
  • Swordfish
  • Crawfish
  • Lobster
  • Salmon
  • Swedish
  • Oysters

Swedish Fish count ? Isn’t it more of a Jelly Fish?

forgot Scallops

2 Likes

We don’t like salmon either. We pretty much only like the “white” fish, not the “pink” fish.

/racist

I do like some breaded, fried catfish with cajun spices.

1 Like

I don’t like cooked salmon. But for raw, nothing beats salmon imo. It’s so sweet and delish.

Whereas cooked salmon is one of my favorite cooked fishes. And I like smoked salmon. But raw salmon is… fine. I’m happy to eat it, but there are a lot of raw fish I like more.

Yellowtail – is that some kind of tuna? I have no idea what that fish is called in other contexts. But I love me some yellowtail sashimi. Yum. So rich and delicious.

Oysters can be good from some warmer waters too. Apalachicola Bay is well known for tasty oysters. It was the main source of oysters in the SE for decades Unfortunately overfishing and drought took a heavy toll on the beds so there’s currently a moratorium on harvesting there for a few years to allow the beds to recover.

I love salmon. Basic version is grilled with butter and garlic. :yum: Not a fan of smoked salmon tho.

Yellowfin is the tuna, yellowtail is a different fish. I love both for sushi. And red snapper. And honestly, almost any sushi is pretty delicious.

2 Likes

Need a thread for ‘seafood I don’t think is amazing.’ Much easier.

Yellowtail is amberjack, or called Hamachi in Japan. That’s the Hamachi kama I mentioned earlier

1 Like

Favorite fish to eat…

Walleye. Wisconsin style, deep fried with a light breading on a Friday night. Shout out to all the Wisconsin peeps like T-roy and Ted-Hoffman.

1 Like

I like maguro sashimi

But I don’t really trust it most places I go.

I like a nice salmon, with bearnaise sauce, or something similar, for cooked fish

Ugh! Just you.