What's up with the ao?

They probably don’t. They probably should have at least pm’d the ao moderators, which is a pretty easy thing to do, but they did not even bother with that.

ARGHHH LOS MODS!!!

Thanks Tom!

Also wow, Tiffany’s an anime? That makes so much sense in hindsight.

Google “ekittie” if you want the REST of the avatar.

Probably do not do this at work.

I did it at work, but not on work computer obviously

Is JFG here yet? Does he know I still love him?

If they want it to be completely professional, I assume they’re going to use paid mods.

i have some doubts that paid mods would do a great job of keeping it entirely professional any more than volunteer mods would, but since they had zero contact with the volunteer mods, they might have no desire for them to stay on.

The reason I assume they’d use paid mods is because who would do this for free…

It’s one thing when it’s a website you use a lot for a variety of things, and you mod to keep it usable. If it’s a place that is mostly going to be boring to working actuaries… it will be as dead as LinkedIn and nobody would do it for free.

If they are paid they will obviously want to justify their payment so I would expect them to be super-thorough

New AO

More money spent, fewer users

yep, pretty much CS. Seems to be no upside to this decision to me.

This is the way.

Maybe someone can explain to Patty Simpson why her plan is terrible and won’t work. I’m not a very convincing person though, so not me.

I assume she has very little to no experience with online communities if she actually thinks this is a good idea. People go online to get away from work for a break, and then maybe do a little professional stuff while there. The ao had the best of both worlds, so it worked.

But them letting Tom go makes me think they aren’t open to keeping the forum at all, so any convincing is pointless.

Yeah. I’d just as soon they dump it and let those of us who want to make it what we want.

1 Like

Eh,competition, such as it is, is good for the community. Forces everyone to up their game.

The ao has a lot of momentum but probably no open chat. They’ve also said they’re going to focus on careers and exams.

Goactuary has open dialogue but not the momentum yet. We were already going down the road of career stuff, and I’m prepared to put some effort into exam stuff.

So maybe momentum trump’s open dialogue, or maybe it doesn’t. Either way, there’s two entities putting some effort into exam and career stuff. That’s progress, and good for us all.

That being said:

SAVE_20200925_164840

losing the history kinda sucks though.

1 Like

Agreed. :frowning_face:

ifyp

1 Like

Maybe you should change your name to ga_fan.
I’m losing 20K posts and a fairly old Oct 2001 join date. 19 years next month.

I also have a lot of history of interesting bridge hands in the bridge section - winning events, playing against Bill Gates, etc. Always thought of the AO as a convenient repository for this information, not so much I guess.