What's up with the ao?

This seems like as good a category as any to gossip about that.

3 Likes

Beats me. I don’t think it’s secret information that Tom is no longer there. Their website now says they are revamping their site and it will be back in “a few weeks”. Does that mean the forum will be back? Same as before? New software? New rules? New admin?

1 Like

Without invading his privacy too much, does anyone know what happened with Tom?

2 Likes

Laid off. that’s fairly generic, so who knows. I know this much, without any consideration to circumstances, getting laid off from a job is a huge blow to one’s sense of self-worth. A company may treat it as a business decision, but personally it’s gonna be shattering. I feel for what his week must be like after getting that notice.

I told him I hope he lands butter side up :).

2 Likes

Yes, I knew that. I was looking for more detail, but not wanting to be too nosy into something that isn’t my business.

But yeah, I know what you mean. I would be pretty shattered by a layoff, whatever the reason.

2 Likes

Imagine if the pass rate goes up. Though I don’t think the AO is the distraction that it used to be compared to smart phones, etc.

2 Likes

I reached out to him, just to say “thanks” and “good luck”. He wrote me a nice note. He sounds okay for someone who just got canned. I suppose one can fake that in email, but i hope not. And yeah, i hope he lands on his feet. This is a rough market to find a job.

But my husband, a web developer, just landed a full time gig, so there’s work out there. And Tom has a lot of skills.

3 Likes

I don’t know Tom but he always seemed like a pretty decent guy. I certainly hope that he lands on his feet.

1 Like

I chatted with him. He seems upbeat and has a variety of options open to him.

He also caught something that I hadn’t. I thought the ad page was a standard parked domain landing page. He caught that it was a landing page from a malicious group that hijacks domain registrations. So the shutdown was likely not intentional.

1 Like

Oh, that’s interesting. I had also assumed it was a standard parked domain page.

I suppose they could have left something “visible” as part of showing Tom the door.

1 Like

2020 just keeps on getting better and better!!

3 Likes

How do ya’ll already have accounts here?
Also, ya’ll are addicts to forums.
Do you even work?!

3 Likes

This forum was set up around the beginning of the year when GoActuary started. But with Covid, GoActuary got sidelined and so we turned off the forum. No one was using it.

Now - it’s back on as a possible alternative to the AO - if that website doesn’t bring back the forum.

1 Like

I signed up today. I wanted to post a new thread on the ao and saw it wasn’t working so I googled actuary discussion and found this. I also found something else but looked like the last post was in 2013!

2 Likes

Wow! I’m pleasantly surprised you found it with a google search!

1 Like

We’re just that cool.

3 Likes

for people who might not know, you can still get to the ao with an ip link

http://204.232.242.165/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php

3 Likes

Not on my work computer. “Access Restricted”

Also my preferred way of accessing it on my phone (Tapatalk) seems hopelessly broken.

I’m surprised you were allowed that handle here.

1 Like

Never resorted to tapatalk because it doesn’t have social group access. I don’t really use social groups anymore these days though since we’ve moved those to discord. why would ao_fan not be allowed?

1 Like

Lol
I have an account there

1 Like