Canada <> US

I go back and forth.

So, the ONLY thing I’m bilingual in is temperature. I don’t translate. I just know what various temperatures feel like to me. I realized that the big Island of Hawaii felt like a foreign country when I noticed that every time a temperature was given in Fahrenheit it felt weird. (Also, I realize I don’t vacation out of the US in the winter, so I only know C down to 0.)

I certainly never care about a 1 degree difference in temperature F, unless I am taking my temperature to see how sick I am. But I suppose it’s handy that the “decades” mean something in F, whereas a block of ten degrees C is kinda large.

That being said, in general, 0-10C is nice if it’s dry, nasty if it’s wet. 10-20 is cool, 20-30 is warm, 30-40 is hot, and anything over 40 is miserable.

The place I like English measures is cooking volume measures. A cc or ml is way to small, and I don’t like needing to use big numbers. I like having the measures be new names at factors of 2 - 4. So,

1/4 tsp,
1/2 tsp
3/4 tsp
tsp
Tbsp
Oz
1/4 cup
1/3 cup
1/2 cup
3/4 cup
cup
pint
quart
gallon

are all useful sizes – different enough to care. And I can remember all of those.

I grew up with C. 7C was freezing for me. But humidity likely has a lot to do with it, as well as the lack of indoor heating where I grew up. Getting out of the shower was always a battle.

When I came to the states, the equivalent of 7C seemed perfectly reasonable to me. That’s when I learned that temperature doesn’t really mean much without humidity.

For example, you can put your hand in 400F oven and be perfectly fine.

For a little while…

Yes.

You must have me confused with some other Tiffany.

Hmmm…

No, I don’t think I’m confused, Miss Kapowski.

I was certainly talking about my good friend James Floyd Goodson.

hfbb.

Body temperature is freaking hot. At that point I suppose the body thermostat finally clicks off and decides OK no need to expend any more calories to generate heat.

This just in - Canadians are officially America’s favorite type of immigrant.

Current USCIS green card processing times = 10 to 22 months
My wait time = Just a smidge over 4 months

You are our favorite. :kiss:

1 Like

I’m sorry . . . 37C sounds like a bra size to me.

That’s the Canadian “average”.

The US Census is being completed this year, but in the past they haven’t published the average bra size. Best eyes on GoActuary appreciate the beauty of all people and don’t worry about averages. OK, that appreciation does have some bias toward females. NTTAWWT.

For guys?

For guys the c would stand for “cut”. But not 37. usually 6-7.

Not for the general population anyway. There are commercials and sales programs aimed at doctors and program administrators.

I guess I was commenting that 30 is the cutoff between hot and really hot, not that 30c=100f. i.e. it’s arbitrary. and not a good reason to keep an irrational system of measurements.

I think you told me that already :smiley:

My favorite line from a Canadian was when we were taking the Group health exam together and he said ‘this exam is just a study of how F’ed up your healthcare system is’

4 Likes