What’s next for Liz Cheney?

It’s weird that you’re trying to dismiss her because you feel like her dad exaggerated about something.

If you want to feel angry or worried about Liz Cheney, you should do so based on things she herself has said and done, which is plenty.

4 Likes

Maybe he is not worse…yet… but he seems pretty intent on doing as much damage as he can if he doesn’t get his second term.

1 Like

I think what he intends to do if he gets his second term and what he intends to do if he doesn’t get his second term are both extremely damaging. If he gets his second term the outcome will be worse for the country. Or for what was the country.

3 Likes

I would say Trump is a greater threat than Benedict Arnold and even Joe McCarthy ever were. Remember Trump tried to end American democracy and become the first non elected president in American history.

3 Likes

To be fair, I think Aaron Burr tried something similar that resulted in a Constitutional Amendment but that was over 200 years ago. Though Burr was trying to exploit a technicality in who the law was written more so than outright fraud.

Assuming Cheney loses tonight I don’t see her getting a slot on any major cable news network. If she were a moderate Republican, I could see her as an occasional commentator on CNN or MSNBC but these networks wouldn’t want to give a right winger like her an audience. Conversely, Fox would not want her as she would alienate their core Trump audience. I would not be interested in reading a book she writes about herself: her evil father is much more interesting than her.

2 Likes

I could see CNN having her as a non-insane conservative voice.

Time will tell but I think CNN prefer more moderate Republicans like John Kasich? Cheney is pretty right wing.

1 Like

Hopefully not… hopefully she wins. (I know it’s a long shot, but hope springs eternal.)

I guess you don’t remember this guy who got dumped by saying something to the effect that there was nothing here when white people arrived.

1 Like

Polls closed 20 minutes ago but no results in yet. I guess Wyoming counts slow. I know there’s a lot of variation in how fast different states count the votes but this is the most interesting race in Wyoming in a long time so I’ve never really paid attention to their counting speed before.

Ah, the frothy mixture of…

3 Likes

Estimated 14% counted and not looking good. Only glimmer of hope is that they’ve counted a greater share of the Republican vote than the Dem, so hopefully there are Dem crossovers uncounted that will help her. But will it be enough?

Is that how it works? I thought Dems could reregister as Repubs, but if you were a registered Democrat you could not vote for her. (Or maybe anyone could vote in either primary, but I still would expect that the Repub count is votes in the Repub primary, not votes by Repubs in either primary.)

Don’t you think CNN’s bad experience with Santorum makes them less likely to take a chance with Cheney?

1 Like

There are democrats in Wyoming?

Things you learn…

3 Likes

Hard to find anything positive for Cheney in the early results.

In better news, Florida polls show Rubio trailing the Dem in November Senate race.

Rick Santorum is an idiot. Liz Cheney seems pretty smart.

1 Like

You are mostly correct. A “registered” Dem changes to a registered Republican by walking into the polling place and saying “may I have a Republican ballot please” and poof… now they are a registered Republican.

But if less of the vote is counted in the Dem areas (you know: the big cosmopolitan cities like Cheyenne and Casper and Laramie) then that means that there are more potential crossover voters from those areas to be counted.

Or they underestimated the number of crossover voters… no clue. It’s not looking good regardless.

NYT says Cheyney lost