What are you watching (bingeing) these days?

I’ve only seen the first episode of S3, too early to critique for me.

binged The Peripheral on prime, it’s pretty good. Haven’t finished it yet.

A little West World ish.

I just finished that. It was good, and I liked the way they wrapped it up.

Just heard they are not going to do seasons 2-3 of 1899 on Netflix. So bummed.

1 Like

Did you do a search for 1900 and 1901?

2 Likes

I finished 3 Pines. Hated the end. I sure hope there’s a season 2. Needs more Reine Marie.

Too bad. Netflix is spending a lot on production costs these days so guessing they are passing on 1899 partially because it is so expensive to produce?

well, I think their revenue projection is just drastically different from expected due to subscriber loss, so probably just necessary budget cuts.

I did the show first and am now reading the books - there’s at least one part in the last episode(s) that made literal no sense without having Mr. Bookworm explain it to me, but I loved this show anyway.

1899 is dead as the 19th century. No mas.

From Forbes, via wikipedia (emphasis by me, DeepPurple):

Is that any different than network TV? More series are canceled without wrapping up than that have a satisfying conclusion.

Perhaps, but once a network series gets the plug pulled, then it’s over and forgotten.

On Netflix, you can probably watch the initial portion of the series for a few years, knowing that a conclusion is not forthcoming.

I thought Mindhunter was pretty good, and they had an ongoing story about a known killer that never got resolved.

2 Likes

the OA needs a conclusion T.T

That sucks. I was about to watch the second season of Mindhunter. If there’s no resolution I think I’ll give it a miss.

Eh, they can make a two- or three-hour movie.

One business problem with Netflix is that OK’ing series has a lot to do with getting more subscribers and/or keeping current subscribers, and how will this proposed/current series do it better than all these other series/movies/syndication choices.
I mean, making great, timeless series is not really part of the strategy.

Meanwhile, apparently WB/Discovery has pulled a shitload of Looney Tunes toons from HBO Max . Note: WB/D owns these and HBO Max. So, the cheapest possible product, internally. So, why drop? WB/Discovery is calling it a cost-cutting move. WTF are the costs here?
Does some other streaming service want to rent them for a spell?

Anyone watching “Abbott Elementary”?
My wife binged through the first season and is finally caught up with the second season, and I occasionally flit in while it’s on.
Pretty blah for a comedy.

Wife like Abbott. I find it mildly depressing.

But it’s funny! The black lady science teacher who isn’t good at science? Hilarious! The older black lady who doesn’t know about modern technology? Off my chair LMAO!!
/s

CSPAN

2 Likes

For those who watch Alice in Borderland, the ending to S2 (and likely the series) I thought was perfect. Extremely good moral of the story imo.

Never read the manga, but apparently that’s how the manga ends too, so it’s safe to call it a series finale.

I just binged season 1 and 2 of white lotus. Loved every minute of it.

3 Likes