What are you reading?

I just enjoyed “princess floralinda and the forty-flight tower”.

Short, very tight, story about a dopy princess and a scientifically minded fairy trying to escape a tower full on monsters. Lots of wit, cleverness, and dark humor. Recommend.

The author, Tamsyn Muir, has a full length fantasy trilogy which I’m starting now. See how it goes…

1 Like

About 2/3 through Manic in Christmas River.

My daughter made me a 5+ hour December playlist on Spotify and it’s cutting into my reading (listening) time.

1 Like

Just finished “Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World” by Haruki Murakami.

Did not get to this novel when I binged on Murakami books a few years ago but I think this might be his best novel. Highly recommend it. Appropriate book to read after watching “1899” on Netflix.

1 Like

Recently finished “The Ten Thousand Doors of January” by Alix Harrow. A friend really liked it but I found it meh. I think maybe I took too many breaks or didn’t listen as closely as I should.

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy after finishing 4 stormlight books. Likely going into next 4 Mistborn books.

1 Like

“The Final Days” by Woodward and Bernstein. (This was my aunt’s book, according to the sticker.)
Sad that my family library doesn’t have “All The President’s Men,” nor does my local library. This book should cover the stuff not in that book (or movie) pretty well, though. So many flashbacks for me to Trump though.

Needed Suspense & Thrillers - read & finished Cape Fear - MacDonald and
needed Biographies and Memoirs - started Into The Air - Krakauer

2 Likes

I found “Into Thin Air” a great and quick read as I couldn’t put it down once I started it.

1 Like

I liked it, too.

I downloaded A Man Called Ove on Audible a while ago, finally started it on my trip.

Had that pronunciation way wrong.

1 Like

I liked that, as well as the Swedish movie.

Will most likely watch a Man Called Otto

1 Like

I liked it, too. I haven’t watched the Swedish movie (maybe I should), and I think the American version will screw it up.

Lol. This should go without saying.

Does anyone here look at the Goodreads Choice Awards?

Taylor Jenkins Reid’s Carrie Soto Is Back won in the historical fiction category. I loved that book but didn’t vote for it bc it’s not historical fiction. Aside from references to what tv shows were playing in certain eras, there was really nothing historical about it.

Finished The Ghost Who Came for Christmas by Bobbi Holmes. Skipped a couple to get to the Christmas one. It was ok but I’m finished with these for a while.

It’s a Christmas Thing by Janet Dailey. New to me author. Second in the Christmas Tree Ranch series. I’m about an hour in of 8 hours total and it’s holding my attention. Main character is a vet (male) and his love interest is a judge.

I want to check out “Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow” and Sea of Tranquility. I read a Sarah Maas book in the past due to the Goodreads Awards and have steered clear of their fantasy recommendations ever since.

1 Like

I read Sea of Tranquility a while back and liked it. It has references to one or two previous Emily St. John Mandel books, although it’s been long enough ago that I don’t have a feel for whether having read the previous books (and The Glass Hotel, in particular) would be important to enjoying this one.

2 Likes

Just finished this. Wow. I mean, I lived through it, but this is some heavy shit.
When someone ask for “loyalty,” it’s because they are probably going to do something illegal.

2 Likes

Several books by Carl Rogers, the brilliant American psychotherapist.

My English SIL is studying to be a psychotherapist in the Carl Rogers school of analysis. The Carl Rogers Reader, in particular, gave me a good understanding of Rogers’ somewhat controversial “client-centred” approach and is written in a non-technical manner.