What are you reading?

Ive read nearly everything on the kindle except the trash novels my wife put on. 50 shades, twilight, etc.

Iā€™ve also been reading The Wonder Of Boys, on how to raise boys to be men, teaching responsibility and such.
Just wanted to see if we did any of it when we raised our awesome boys.

I used to read the stuff online. Is the book a compilation of that?

Probably some overlap,

I donā€™t know. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m reading it.

Gonna guess that a lot of it is what I say to my kids.

does William Shatner narrate on audio?

1 Like

Okay, so far, the singers theyā€™s identified are on recordings that might be in the public domain. They identified a singer on a recording post-WWI, pre-WWII. Some publishers allowed those recordingsā€™ copyrights to lapse.

Most of the great singers were before the 70s and some of the very best were in the early 20th century - Caruso Gigli tetrazzini Melba galli-curci ruffo ponselle flagstad Anderson etc.

Plenty of great singers around, but yes, they kind of require the singers to be somewhat good-looking now, which would cut out, say, Joan Sutherland and her huge jaw.

It is interesting reading some of the older books on comments re: periods where it was all about the singing, and there were comments about how ugly some of the best singers were (or old or fat or whatever), and how they didnā€™t even try to act, etc. Or at other periods it was more for acting, etc.

One of my fave bits is the Rigoletto quartet w/ Sutherland & Pavarotti, and itā€™s ridiculous if you are trying to take them seriously re: age/size/etc. as Gilda & the Duke. The guy singing Rigoletto (I didnā€™t check) was probably younger than the other 3 singers, and that was just guessing ā€¦ the stage makeup was a bit silly in trying to make him look older than the other 3, which is what the character is supposed to be (heā€™s Gildaā€™s dad, after all) went a little too far. But nobody cared. It was about the singers, not believability (for crying out loud, itā€™s opera).

1 Like

Picked up a bio on Ted Williams off my bookshelf.

Continuing Wired and national Geographic magazines.

I did a binge on my National Geographic magazines recently as they quickly pile up. I like the ā€œnew Nat Geoā€ as it is now more issues-oriented but the photography is still incredible. There doesnā€™t seem to be any subject that is now off-limits to them and the articles are universally well-written.

Finished. I liked it. It wasnā€™t the typical cozy mystery I tend to read. You didnā€™t even know who had been murdered until the end. I had a fun time guessing who was murdered and by whom for quite a while. I will definitely read something else by this author.

Now back to Sandersonā€™s The Way of Kings. I havenā€™t totally ignored for 2 weeks so getting back into it today was not difficult. It will not be hard to finish before September, I donā€™t think.

Life is Worth Living by Fulton Sheen (was my grandpaā€™s copy from the 1950s)
Economic Facts and Fallacies by Thomas Sowell

This is my current read.

2 Likes

The man who mistook his wife for a hatā€¦ which I was assigned in a poetry class decades ago, and never read.

Itā€™s a quite enjoyable kind of ā€œlook at these weirdos and what it says about the brain and also life in generalā€ kind of book. Kind of thing you might expect on an NPR podcast.

Also, it feels like a recent book. It was written in the 70ā€™s, and Sacks only just recently died. But, my goodness, is it out of date. Like the words are different, the politics are different, the diseases are different, and the cures-- I think he uses like 3 drugs in total.

2 Likes

I used to watch Bishop Sheen on tv when I was a kid and he was mesmerizing. It was partially about his smile but his messages were also interesting. May look at his book.

The book is essentially a transcription from the TV show, and it shows (as it has some of his introductory remarks about a cab driver, etc., before he gets into his actual subject).

It also has his chalkboard drawings redone by Dik Browne.

Itā€™s interesting as some of the episodes are about current events of 1953, and in particular, one episode is Sheen talking about the Death of Stalin ā€¦ a week before Stalin died.

Sheen was so intellectually above the televangelists that followed him on tv.

He obviously had a classical liberal arts education in literature and philosophy, which he often pulled into his show.

1 Like

Sacks is one of my favorite authors. Awakenings, Island of the Colorblind, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, A Leg to Stand On are all great experiences.