What are you reading?

Finished the book. It has a slow start, but overall, i thought it was excellent. I found the ending disappointing, though.

Iā€™ve been going through the Bible on audiobook, and for the Old Testament prophets, Iā€™ve got a version with David Suchet ā€¦ and when he proclaims doom and destruction, you surely feel it.

1 Like

Which version are you listening to? I have a dramatized version that I like. Protestant/NIV. Iā€™ve often been curious about ā€œthe rest of the storyā€ (aka the books the Protestants left out.)

Finally finished Deathā€™s End. Really interesting book series. Not sure Iā€™ll read it again, but Iā€™m very glad I read it. Now onto either Red Rising or Deadly Education which were recommendations from a colleague and my sister-in-law.

Itā€™s this one right now: [NIV]

Thereā€™s a whole series of them w/ Suchet as the reader. I think he did the whole NIV. I had been doing KJV, but I wanted to try a different reader/version.

Part of what Iā€™m going through is for the literature aspect, as well as history and religion, which is why I started w/ KJV, as thatā€™s where most English literature ā€œquotingā€ the Bible get their passages/references. Of course, some Biblical references in literature arenā€™t tied directly to the KJV language, but the concepts themselves.

Sometimes Iā€™ve forgotten some items came from the Bible and not Shakespeare (and sometimes vice-versa)

1 Like

I finished A Year of Biblical Womanhood. Interesting, but not as good as Iā€™d expected. The year was done in thematic months. Itā€™s probably the only way that makes any sense and doesnā€™t really take away from the point of the book at all and even as I type it it seems very nitpicky to me, but I still couldnā€™t help feeling slightly cheated that things that were mentioned in the advertising were only done for days or a week or a month, depending on what it was.

I think Iā€™ll try Calypso by David Sedaris next.

1 Like

Iā€™m back to reading A Time for Mercy and itā€™s feeling really depressing right now.

So Iā€™m going to start Madness in Christmas River, which I donā€™t think is set during Christmas but in a town named after the holiday. A holiday-adjacent theme, perhaps. Iā€™ve read a couple others in this series and they are decent cozy mysteries.

Finished Ezekiel (seriously weird) and Daniel (always seemed a bit skimpy, especially up against Ezekiel & its great imageryā€¦ but always loved Meshach, Shadrach, & Abednego)

1 Like

I was wrong. Madness in Christmas River starts on Thanksgiving Day and looks like we will make it to Christmas Eve at least. For some reason that sort of thing is fun for me.

ETA: it was a fun cozy but badly in need of editing. The author overused words like ā€œjustā€ and ā€œallā€. Also the protagonist was on a diet most of the book bc she bought a wedding dress that was too small. Other than that, fun cozy. :roll_eyes:

Iā€™ve been reading Andrew Weirā€™s new book, Hail Mary, with my wife. Itā€™s really great! I think!

It feels more contrived than the Martian, which went way out of its way to be entirely about a lone hero genius with no choice but to think on his feet to surviveā€¦ This one, thereā€™s often not quite as much of an excuse for that.

It also feels written to a YA audience, but thatā€™s weirdly okay. One thing it does neatly is drop scientific hints for the reader to pick up on whatā€™s going on just before the narrator figures it out. Like a very simple Agatha Christy starring Mr. Wizard. The Martian and Artemis kind of did the same, but the puzzles were usually too hard for a reader without a degree in bio-engineering or space-welding.

But mostly, it just feels coolā€¦ Like an actual science fiction adventure, written by someone who actually knows science, and has thought pretty seriously about the science, but still has a sense of fun.

1 Like

Finished The Name of the Rose. I did not figure out the culprit before the reveal. Solid story overall, and I enjoyed the history lessons.

Started Jane Austenā€™s Northanger Abbey (my last Austen, other than Sanditon, The Watsons, and Lady Susan) and Dragon Wing (book one of the Death Gate Cycle). I read the latter when I was 12 years old but I donā€™t remember a thing. The series as been on my TBR for about 25 years. So yeah.

1 Like

I think I enjoyed Hail Mary even more than Martian.

I finished the Sedaris books, which was good.

Another Rachel Held Evans book that Iā€™d ILLed arrived, so I guess thatā€™s next.

Just finished audiobook of Rebecca. Narrated by Alexandra Oā€™Karma ā€“ very well done.

Good thing I had never seen the movie, and the only reference I knew was from the Fforde Thursday Next books, because I did not see the various bits coming, though one ā€œtwistā€ didnā€™t surprise me in the least. I liked the ending, though a bit too Neal Stephenson-y, if you know what I mean.

I finished Searching for Sunday by Rachel Held Evans. I listened on audiobook and the half where she talked mostly about her story I found myself really paying attention to and the the other half my mind did more wandering. This probably sounds stupid, since, duh, itā€™s true, but the one half sounded like she was just reading the book.

The next hold that just arrived is A Room Of Oneā€™s Own by Virginia Woolf, so I guess thatā€™s next.

Pretty much doing holiday reading now. Current listen is The Christmas Bookshop by Jenny Colgan.

On a Stephen King audiobook swing: just finished Billy Summers (enjoyed it a lot) and started The Institute.

1 Like

Curious how that goes. I love Woolf but just assumed her feminist writings would be captain-obvious with 100 years of hindsight.

Iā€™m about 3/4 of the way through and, yeah, some is dated/obvious, but it has been interesting in a couple ways. One is looking back on the the history and state of womenā€™s writing at the time, especially as compared to menā€™s writing. And the second is just in the way she wrote it. I think I was expecting more of a dry lecture, but thatā€™s not how she presented things. Itā€™s more ā€¦ literary in style, I guess youā€™d say.

Itā€™s the first Woolf Iā€™ve read and probably wasnā€™t really the one to start with, but I am interested in reading some more.

Itā€™s a quick read. I should be done today.

Well, when youā€™re in the mood again, my favorites are To the Lighthouse and Mrs. Dalloway. I liked Lighthouse better, though itā€™s also weirder. But they are both basically modernist experiments in dumping plot and dialogue and replacing it with some clever people having cool thoughts and feels. Which I guess a lot of writers were playing with at the time (Joyce, Faulkner, Nabokov, etc.) but imo Woolf actually manages to be fun for the most part instead of just outright obscureā€¦