What are you reading?

Finished “Lord of The Flies.”
My ongoing series of “Books I Avoided in High School, Because I Could.”

1 Like

I finished “Pardonable Lies”, the 3rd Maisie Dobbs mystery by Jacqueline Winspear. I seem to have accidentally skipped the 2nd. It has Maisie working on 3 cases - two involving men who died in WWI. In addition to solving the cases, Maisie also hopes to resolve her war demons - why she lived when others, including her boyfriend, died.

Now that spring exams are done, I can pick up a book again. I just started The Beach by Alex Garland.

1 Like

At the Back of the North Wind by George Macdonald

The Humbugs of the World by PT Barnum… really strong open, I can tell I’ll enjoy this one. And probably write about it.

I went back and read the 2nd Maisie Dobbs mystery, Birds Of A Feather, that I’d skipped. On to something else.

I randomly picked up the Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker, hailed as one of the great gimmick novels.

Basically imagine you are talking to a guy in the office who is pleased to have found a better way to tie his shoes. Or wants to share some happy history about the shape of milk cartons. Then make that into a whole novel. It is 100% pleasant thoughts and observations about trivial bullshit.

I have also recently been reading a lot random articles about COVID stuff. And the last article I stumbled across was by the same guy!
Did COVID-19 Escape From a Lab? A Coronavirus Investigation

It makes a compelling and horrifying case that COVID-19 escaped after being engineered in a lab by some overzealous vaccine scientists.

Reading The Overdue Life of Amy Byler by Kelly Harms. It’s decent escapist reading for me. Main character is a mom of teens and a school librarian. Just my cup of tea. Probably no one else’s.

Oh and I finally started the 4th LBJ book by Robert Caro. The Passage of Power. It just felt like time.

And then I also got Little Fires Everywhere from the library. Been meaning to read that for a while.

Little Fires Everywhere lived up to the hype IMO. Debating if I want to watch the series bc I know they changed stuff

something about the battle of Waterloo. Give me a couple days and I’ll tell you how it ends

Started reading “Dark Places” by Gillian Flynn (my wife had it on our trip and I needed something to read). Same author as “Sharp Objects” and “Gone Girl.”

Just finished “I Found You” by Lisa Jewel. Would recommend.

I finished The Black Echo, the first of the Harry Bosch books. It was OK.

Finished The Goblin Emperor. Started Into the Drowning Deep.

I abandoned this the first time I tried, but I think I was too stressed out to focus. Someone had mentioned it again, so I gave it another shot and enjoyed it.

I didn’t like “Beartown” so when I saw the sequel, I figured I wouldn’t like it either.

Too much of this place.

3 Likes

Started Everything We Keep by Kerry Lonsdale and can’t figure out if it’s supposed to be a mystery or a romance. Not sure if I’ll finish.

Started The Midnight Library by Mathew Haig and the beginning is fairly dark and I’m already feeling dark and the neverending rain isn’t helping. But this one’s for book club and I hear it gets better. Also it’s short.

Making some progress on Caro’s Passage of Power and learning a lot about JFK.

Reading Austen’s “Sense and Sensibility.”

2 Likes

Decent read. Starting Orfeia by Joanne M. Harris today, then planning a ‘Library’ readathon.

The Library of the Dead by T.L. Huchu (came out today)
The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
The Library of the Unwritten by A.J. Hackwith
The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman

I read it. There were some good lines in it.