What are you reading?

I read A Better Man by Louise Penny, a Chief Inspector Gamache mystery.

Gamache is definitely helping with that reading slump I was having.

I don’t know if it’s just that I haven’t read one in a while, but I particularly enjoyed A Better Man. It’s one of those “You’re missing clues! You’re missing possibilities!” mysteries, where there are 3 characters Gamache and the rest are not even considering for most of the book, but Penny is giving you some clear clues (that may or may not be relevant). Also the very long story arc continues to change, which adds some interest.

1 Like

Been reading to my kid.

We finished Charlottes Web (twice) and now reading Laura Ingalls Wilder (little house on the prairy books).

Charlotte’s web is a gorgeous pastoral about the cycle of life and death. The entire book is about trying to save a pig from slaughter.

The little house books on the other hand are:

"Pa saw a bear. Pa shot the bear with his gun. Now we’ll have lots of meat for winter!

Pa found a pig in the woods. So Pa shot the pig with his gun. I helped him chop it up and salt it. Then we hung the pieces up to dry. Now we’ll have even more meat for the winter!"

2 Likes

It is also quite weird to watch Disney+ after school, and then read Grimm and Anderson at night.

“Oh yes, it is weird that in the movie version pigeons don’t peck out anybody’s eyes. Hm… wonder if they forgot that.”

Is that how they were originally written or is it rewritten as a children’s book?
I know there was controversy in how Native Americans were portrayed, is it apparent?
and real or overblown

They were originally children’s books. And honestly they do pretty good as children’s books. Lots of long descriptions of things like churning butter and cleaning a gun, which are both kind of interesting and easy to read/understand.

I haven’t seen any PoC so far, but there’s 8 frickin’ books. Checking the internet now, it looks like Little House on the Prairie has them moving into “Indian Territory”. It looks a bit complicated. The NA’s are smelly and naked. The neighbors hate NAs. And Ma is kind of racist and talks about how if you had an Indian kid they’d have ugly brown eyes. Pa (who is the voice of reason) is pretty Woke-- and argues a few times that the NA’s are fundamentally good. The kids are in-between and raise some moral questions.

Probably okay, unless your kid has brown eyes and wants the bluest eye.

Ma says, “The only good Indian is a dead Indian.” Multiple times. But Laura sees a papoose and falls in love.

I read those books a few times. Why no one ever put Anne of Green Gables in my hands, I don’t know.

Finished “Us Against You,” the sequel to “Beartown.”
Pretty good.

My mother literally put that into my daughter’s hands

1 Like

So, I was not much into Anne, but I read a standalone book by LM Montgomery called a Tangled Web, which I found to be really interesting.

Never read them. Mrs. S says probably too boring this year.

I’m interested in what people think is good vs bad to read to kids. I think I’m mostly banking on the notion that if she just read a lot she’ll end up okay.

The weirdest by far, I think is the tendency for movies, books, and games to switch freely between animals as people and animals as dinner. Not because they have a vegetarian message (although a few do), but just because kids love anthropomorphized animals.

So, “Animal Farm” is next up?

I don’t think I read that one, but when I discovered LM Montgomery (when I should have been studying for actuarial exams) I read everything my library had of hers. I didn’t love all the later Anne books as much as I loved the earlier ones but I did enjoy her other books. I’m gonna have to look for this one.

So I was listening to 400 Souls this week and heard, “I was first owned by Benjamin Chew of Philadelphia.” Wait. What? The Cliveden Chews? Text my MIL, do a little googling, yep.

Richard Allen was the man, born a slave but later allowed to purchase his freedom. He became one of the founding fathers of the AME church.

History is definitely not my forte so when I make a connection like that it’s interesting to me.

This book is beautifully put together. The audio is incredible, but I also bought the hardcopy bc I felt like there might be certain stories I would want to return to.

It’s actually a collection of essays, with each one covering some aspect of African American history in a 5 year time span. Some focus more on the history but many connect that historical event to some more recent event. I thought I was pretty well informed on some of these issues but — it turns out I’m not. I’m learning a lot.

Currently reading The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates (2/3 through), Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin (1/2 through) and just started Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon (2 chapters into each).

Quo Vadis

I didn’t really know what it was about, before I started, but I like it (even though I am definitely picking up historical inaccuracies, but that’s ok)

bout to start The Lost World - Crichton

need to go sci-fi

Oh my … I am not sure Michael Crichton really qualifies as sci-fi. Here are a few authors that I love: Robert Reed, Alastair Reynolds, Ian M Banks, Robert Charles Wilson, Ian McDonald, China Mieville, Neal Stephenson, Ian R MacLeod, Charles Stross and Michael Swanwick.

2 Likes

how so? Many of his books are based on technology that does not exist. to me that is a classic definition of sci-fi, even if it doesn’t occur in the future or occur on another world