What are you reading?

Yeah, I considered the book a bit boring. I got tired of the ditsy younguns.

My favorite part of Moby Dick was the detailed images of life aboard a whaling vessel. It’s not really a plot-driven book. At least, many pages of it aren’t.

My favorite parts were just the science about the whales. My oldest had done a summer camp on whaling out of Roger Williams University, and they got to go to the whaling museum in Nantucket. Evidently, they had a whale skeleton still exuding oil. Lovely.

Any of it correct (taking into account today’s science)?

Should have called it “Whales” if all it was going to be was science, instead of a story of good vs evil where we don’t even know which is which.

Given that most of it was descriptive (defining the species, size, behavior, etc.), I assume most of it was accurate. It’s not like he was writing about evolutionary theories.

1 Like

Ready Player One seemed like such an awesome storyline, but I think I screwed up big time by getting the audiobook. The dialogue at times is soo cringey that I couldn’t listen to it anymore at a certain point. Too many “lame-o” and “sex with your mom” type lines that when said out loud I had to stop it. I think because the premise was intriguing enough I’ll give the physical book a shot though.

1 Like

It has a certain nostalgia factor if you grew up in the 80 that’s for sure.

Don Quixote.

Strong start, liking the whores laughing at the Don as he treats them as ladies in a chivalrous tale.

Um, Magic City by Jewell Parker Rhodes (fictional account of the Greenwood Riot? Massacre? of 1921.)

How to Raise an Elephant by Alexander McCall Smith. Read by someone who is not Lisette Licat and this new person makes the voices really squeaky and I may finally be tiring of this series anyway.

Four Hundred Souls edited by Kendi. Reading with a group on a schedule and trying not to get ahead so I’ve only read the first part (of 10).

Emotional Agility bc I heard the author on a podcast and related a little too well.

I desperately need something mind numbing.

Finished The Shadowed Sun. Currently halfway through James Baldwin’s Go Tell it on the Mountain, and started Parable of the Sower.

Tell me about Parable of the Sower, when you get there. That’s Octavia Butler, right?

1 Like

That is a long and silly book.

You know how prefaces are usually nonstop gushing about how every sentence is perfect? The preface in my version of DQ suggested a list of chapters you could comfortably skip.

1 Like

Now that’s a useful feature.

As it is, I’m skipping the poetry. :wink:

DQ is the one book that I read abridged and don’t feel the need to go back and read the unabridged. It was very silly.

I finished The Sentence is Death by Anthony Horowitz. It’s the 2nd Daniel Hawthorne mystery, where Anthony Horowitz inserts himself into the story as a writer documenting Daniel Hawthorne’s investigation. I enjoyed it. He’s able to insert some cliches by pointing out they’re cliche and laughing at them, and stuff like that.

A third book is coming out soon and it will be interesting to see if he continues after that, as the Anthony Horowitz (at least in the book) has a 3-book contract.

I’ve got an Inspector Gamache book checked out, but I suspect I may already have read it even though it’s not checked in goodreads. If so, I’ll probably start Sharp Objects.

About 1/3 of the way through it, and it’s definitely a dark one. Protagonist feels autistic coded, so that’s a bit interesting, to me.

Go Tell it on the Mountain - I didn’t like the narrative structure with flashbacks at ALL, but the story certainly hit hard once complete. Found out it was semi-autobiographical (Baldwin grew up closeted in a religious household with a Baptist preacher father). Religion + race + sexuality - not a light read.

Just finished “To Sleep in a Sea of Stars” by Paolini.

It is an epic Space Opera, but with significant science and character development. The tempo is allegro. The descriptions are explicit. I quickly became immersed in the world. I recommend it if you like Sci-Fi.

Just started Impossible Owls: Essays by Brian Phillips. This was a book club read a year ago and I guess I wasn’t going to book club that month and didn’t read it. But we might start up again soon & I was looking for something different.

Also started Louise Penny’s Kingdom of the Blind.

Finished How to Raise an Elephant, which had an actuary sighting (sort of).

Just put a hold on the sequel (“Us Against You”) to “Beartown” at the local library. Perfect for the weekend trip (picking up Pinots at “our” membership winery). And there is also a third sequel out, but that will have to wait.
The first book pretty much wraps up ten years in the future at the end (though quite vaguely, so, not sure where it will go.

Worst. President. Ever.
by Robert Strauss

yes, it’s about Buchanan.