What are you reading?

In addition to finishing The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, I’ve read a bunch of Aristophanes (ridiculous!) plays. Lysistrata, The Knights, Peace, The Birds, Assembly Women, Wealth, and The Wasps. I have Women at the Thesmophoria and The Frogs left before moving to Menander. I’ll then take a big break before going to the Latin plays (Ennius, Plautus, Terence, Seneca).

I should finish Virginia Woolf’s Orlando this weekend and I also got my preorder for Lyorn, book 17 of the Vlad Taltos series, and it ain’t lasting through the weekend. I HIGHLY recommend this series to anyone remotely interested in the fantasy genre. Main character is an assassin, crime boss, wizard, witch, etc., as the story progresses. The 17 books are largely standalones that tell a coherent story when put together (but each book is fun on its own).

1 Like

Listening to I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy, very good so far, about halfway through.

1 Like

I read that.

It had something similar to what recently came up on the website… re discovering who your real father is. Though in this case, I think the “father” knew all along that he wasn’t the father.

1 Like

Finished. Would recommend.

Finished two of the three Foundation series books by Asimov and am not finding them as awesome as when I first read them as a teenager. Although his cynical view of the power of religion still resonates today the story lines are pretty bland compared to an action-packed current SF series like The Expanse novels. The Foundation books are still worth reading though.

1 Like

Many older Sci-Fi (Asmiov, Wells, Verne) I always keep in mind when they were written and that adds something. Did you read first these before Star Trek? Compared to Lost In Space or Time Tunnel these developed societies were astounding to me for the time they were written

Totally agree with you.

I first read the Foundation series in the mid-60’s so around the time of Star Trek, which I also enjoyed.

Added feature of Star Trek was (Canadian) William Shatner’s involvement. I was too young to have seen him as a Shakespearean actor in the 1950’s so he first caught my attention when I watched him in a memorable Twilight Zone episode, Nightmare at 20000 Feet. I was probably too young to watch all the Twilight Zone episodes by myself late at night but my parents were farmers who went to bed early….

yes, iconic TZ.

Oddly, I always thought Nimoy was Canadian as well, but looking it up, I believe I am mistaken

Anyway, my added feature was both are Jewish. So was Chekov, but didn’t know that as a kid

1 Like

I thought he was even better in the other TZ episode, in which he plays a superstitious man on a honeymoon, and they get trapped in a small town due to a mysterious fortune-telling device.
“Nick of Time.”

1 Like

No he was Vulcan not Canadian. Understandable confusion. :blush:

3 Likes

funny, not sure if ever said, but

always assumed Vulcans were Japanese
Klingons Russian
Romulans Chinese
Andorian some other Asian, Korean

That is the conventional wisdom I believe

I was thinking about listening to that one. Her first two were ok.

1 Like

Started The Book of Joy by Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama.

Also St Francis of Assisi from The Great Courses. Not sure if that one counts as a book but I’m consuming it in the same way that I consume books, and it’s in Goodreads. :smile:

2 Likes

Started listening to The Three-Body Problem, heard good things. And I want to watch the Netflix show, so I’d prefer to read the book first.

2 Likes

Does not compute…

Yeah, a lot of the Great Courses are in Goodreads (hey it takes me longer to go through them than many audiobooks, so why not)

1 Like

Finished Oathbringer by Sanderson. Honestly, I didn’t love it. There was some really cool stuff here and I’m going to check out the youtube summaries of remaining books to see how it ends. The ending chapters were pretty epic and there’s a ton of creativity, just too many things that either annoyed me or I didn’t care about.

In an extreme coincidence, my brother and I both just started reading Swann’s Way.

Just finished:

• The Golden Ocean, Patrick O’Brian
  • Consolation of Philosophy, Boethius

The first I’d recommend only if you’re an O’Brian completist. It’s an early novel of his, and it’s got engaging characters – it’s from an Irish midshipman’s p.o.v. – but it’s no Aubrey & Maturin.

I do recommend Boethius. It’s shorter than I expected.

(note: I am not recommending Boethius bc it is short, but just noting it’s short)

I’m not sure if you should know Boethius’s circumstances and what happened to him before you read the piece. I did, FWIW.

I also knew what a huge influence this specific piece had on loads of people over the centuries.