Well, that was fun

the article I saw, from memory, US 75%, Europe 66%, South Africa 57% for Johnson and Johnson

My kids, both science nerds, tell me that the mrna vaccines should work better and be better against variants - the johnson and johnson vaccine isn’t mrna.

COVID gets butt kicked in MMA?

just got a rapid covid test because i have a fever and feel icky. negative

they also did a PCR test that I get back in 3 to 5 days since rapid tests aren’t always accurate. hopefully also negative. i managed to catch something while almost never leaving my apartment though.

Feel better!

1 Like

So, I donated blood a week ago Saturday and was tested for COVID anti-bodies. Needed this because I never actually tested positive. So I was positive for anti-bodies, this Saturday I donate convalescent plasma

2 Likes

It was surprisingly easy to get a test. I was confused that I could just walk into a walk in place and they took me within minutes. Someone else who walked in they said there was a 4 hour virtual wait. Unsure if she was there for a covid test, but I assume everyone is these days. At the other walk in clinic down the block there is always a line around the corner. Confusing, but glad it was so easy. My sister told me not to bother doing it because I’d have to wait. Somehow that was not true at all. Maybe I had better insurance than the 4 hour wait people? I got a rapid test. I have a feeling that isnt covered and I will be getting a bill. Wanted to know immediately though and did not actually ask if I’m gonna get a bill.

walk in by me always hf as a long line. no idea how many for COVID test or other things or how long to run through

I made an appointment at a CVS drive through. self administered. really easy. results in two days

Yeah my mother suggested I find a drug store with one of the self administered ones, but I had no trouble getting one at a citymd

It is disturbing that with all my isolating I still caught something.

I didn’t want to stand outside waiting. especially since already feeling sick

us too

I didn’t have to. I waited inside. The other place has a line out the door. In addition to feeling sick, it is snowing and nasty weather here. I could not just stand outside for hours like that while feeling sick

I think the tests are free. I would expect they would have reviewed the cost with you if it wasn’t.

I’ve had three Covid tests and never been billed, at any rate.

ETA: I suppose none of them were the rapid kind. Possibly that’s different, but I’d be a little surprised.

Testing cost depends on a lot of where you got it instead of what kind of test it is. Here is what I know from going through the process:

A lot of states have “community testing” sites that are fully funded by the state. We have a handful of those (including a mail-in saliva test) that are free no matter if you have insurance or not (and I do not believe they even bill insurance).

Then you have your standard clinic tests. These are doc offices or CVS type places. They will bill insurance but it will be covered at 100% no matter the test (PCR, rapid, etc). Feds are currently requiring insurance companies to cover at no deduct/copay/coins.

Lets call the 3rd bucket “independent testing places”. At least around here, there are a handful of these. Think labs that do workplace or court mandated drug testing. These places generally require a out of pocket payment to do the test. I believe that you can then submit your receipt to try to get your insurance company to pay, but I have heard both successes and failures around that.

I have gotten tested twice, both at the “independent testing labs” and paid out of pocket. The reasons I did that was that I was able to schedule a same/next day appt without jumping through hoops and a quick turnaround time. The first test I got was rapid (results in 15 minutes) and the 2nd test I got was PCR, but I had my results bright and early the next morning in my inbox.

1 Like

actually, I had thought that my sister paid for a rapid test, but turns out what she got wasn’t a rapid test. It was some other test where you get results within a few hours rather than minutes (which it’s minutes for the rapid test), but it’s more accurate than the rapid test. She paid for that test. Whatever that test is wasn’t offered to me at this place.

PCR test just came back. also, negative.

i pretty much knew by last night that there was no way i had covid with my temperature being below 98 at that point. those symptoms were very short-lived. no idea why i had a fever for all of like one day, but wasn’t covid.

2 Likes

Now I seem to have a bad cold. Based on the timing, pretty sure I caught this cold while getting a covid test on tuesday. Should have just stayed home. I hope this is just a cold.

Father in law has COVID. Probably got in his nursing home. He is in his early 60’s, but has Parkinson’s and prostate cancer and isn’t in great shape to begin with. Preparing ourselves for the worst there.

1 Like

ugh, i guess his nursing home did not vaccinate all the residents yet? My father’s former nursing home is currently covid-free, likely because they vaccinated everyone at this point. It was a disaster for a while, lot of deaths.