Waiting to propose

But his dad was director of the CIA, so G.W. likely got insider info on everything she had ever done, so he knew better than most what he was getting into

1 Like

Made a mistake: it was a year and eight months.

Wedding was 5 months after proposal. My mother-in-law was good at getting bargains so she booked the reception in a Toronto hotel that was still under construction. I remember visiting the reception room wearing a hard hat and safety boots a few weeks before the wedding and wondering if we needed a backup plan. It all worked out though.

1 Like

If I like someone I don’t mind saying that on the first day

My wife and I just completed 47 years……

2 Likes

congrats!

my bf’s parents just celebrated their 50th anniversary. they were like 20/21

1 Like

Historically, it’s problematic when girls jump out front with the I love you’s too early.

Oh I know. People get freaked out, and create all these stupid rules about the length of time you should wait before saying I love you.

I’ve always thought that was dumb. If you feel it, say it. Time’s ticking. Ain’t nobody keeping score.

1 Like

Btw, Oddie responded with “That’s… very sweet.”

Golden.

2 Likes

I think there were brothers and another doctor to deal with first, if I remember… :wink:

1 Like

Hmm, you raise some interesting questions. If the cleaning and organizing messes up the cook’s mise en place then no, it is not also the non-cook’s kitchen. However, if said activity enhances the mise en place then ownership is determined in the same way that the head chef is determined in a restaurant. Whoever has the highest hat is in charge.

The mortgage is unimportant details. I might be flexible in who is paying for the appliances.

We were babies and it was love at first sight. We met in January of my freshman year of college. Pretty much knew we’d get married by spring break if not before. Got married 2 years later.

1 Like

That had nothing to do with proposing or at least not an impediment

So is “your friend” getting pressured to propose but thinks it’s too soon?

Can envision marrying but worried it hasn’t been long enough to uncover incompatibility?

Can’t envision marrying but thinks there hasn’t been enough time to develop marrying feelings?

Uncertain if this is as good as it gets and don’t want to start over?

29 for us.
At a family party on the weekend so both my spouse and I are all over the place talking to people. every half hour or an hour I’d circle around to see where they were and reconnect. I guess I said ‘well, I’m off to see what my wife is up to’ too many times, I got questioned and responded with ‘I haven’t seen them in an hour or so’. Their response, ‘isn’t that the idea?’. And I actually responded with "nope. I actually like my wife’.
Mostly I just don’t say anything to those kinds of comments. Don’t know why I felt the need to respond this time.Particularly when I think the other couple of folks there probably actually have the kind of relationship where it’s good to get away from their spouse once in a while.

1 Like

I can see looking for an exercise to get away from each other for a bit if you live in a studio apartment or something. But that just seems like an odd comment to make to you.

If you need to get away from your partner a lot, the relationship is not going to last or be a happy one! My wife will always be my favourite travelling companion.

Just children when they got married!

Having said that, in the small-town high school I went to, my classmates who didn’t go on to university were often married by age 18. Seemed awfully young to me but most of them are still married to each other.

really depends. I’ve been in relationships where I don’t mind being around them 24/7, and others where I definitely need some alone time from time to time.

Everyone needs SOME alone time

2 Likes

Hard to say. I “waited” four months after i secured my career.
We had been dating three years before that.