United States Presidential & Congressional Election 2024

The NY Times is the only US paper I read frequently: it provides more than I want to know about US politics. I prefer the Guardian for world news.

I get most of my news from Twitter and an obscure actuarial message board

6 Likes

with Wikipedia open in another tab for fact-checking

2 Likes

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

4 Likes

Some articles are poor, like this one by one of my least favourite people, Kellyanne Conway. I had to hold my nose reading it but I thought I should at least read it since they gave a Republican the opportunity to opine.

I don’t understand why this isn’t a bigger issue.

“Look, I was there when he almost withdrew, and he’s not negotiating,” said Bolton, who served as Trump’s national security adviser. “His goal here is not to strengthen NATO, it’s to lay the groundwork to get out.”

1 Like

The average American has zero clue why we’re in NATO, thinks it’s a drain on the U.S., we need to focus the military on the invasion ongoing at the southern border.

Much more damning: Bolton et. al. say all this shit, but then when it’s “so, will you help to stop Trump?” they zip their mouths shut unless they’re talking about how they can put money into their own pockets. Bolton is especially bad at this: he wants to be a patriot without doing any work, and he’d much rather bleat for bucks. He can fuck off down to hell and stay there as far as I’m concerned.

2 Likes

It’s all fun and (political) games until somebody gets hurt - or a nation gets destroyed.:frowning:

1 Like

I assume they’d get to pick Haley’s nominees too, so if it’s SCOTUS picks they’re after they should just pick whichever of Trump or Haley is more likely to defeat Biden. Which seems to depend on who you ask.

1 Like

Technically a 2024 election. Suozzi (D) replacing Santos. Suozzi had held the seat until 2022, and then ran for governor instead of another term. He beat Santos comfortably in 2020. I don’t know how redistricting affected the 2022 election.

4 Likes

And once again, Trump’s response is “well, she sucked anyway [bc I guess she didn’t explicitly endorse him], so.” :man_facepalming: That’s not how you “build the bench” so to speak.

1 Like

She was no George Santos

3 Likes

So no secret performances as a drag king?

Mike Johnson is also dismissing it because the Democrats spent $15 million on the race. Ignoring that Republicans also spent money on the race, and a Republican PAC hired private snow plows to clear the roads and make it easier to get to the polls in the Republican parts of the district but not the Democratic parts of the district.

So let me get this right, Johnson has a razor-thin majority that he already can’t control, had a race up for grabs, and his response at losing it is “Democrats are tryhards”?

Sorry dude, but I prefer my public servants be tryhards. If your defense is “Well, we didn’t really try” then you deserve to be fucked over by 1 vote.

2 Likes

This is an interesting tactic and actually somewhat ingenious. Maybe the Republicans will start caring about climate change so they can utilize this tactic more.

Or you know they could have encouraged vote by mail and not worried about the expense of snow ploughing. But what do I know.

1 Like

Which is more likely Republicans caring about climate change or Republicans trying to defund all civil services such as road care and maintenance so they can control civil services to only support those they choose?

4 Likes

Insights from Putin on US Presidential candidates.

This is my surprised face.

We’re entering an election year and Trump has heavy baggage surrounding Putin and Russia. Even post-Presidency, Trump has been pressuring Congressional GOP to stop opposing Russia in Ukraine.

Putin saying he prefers Biden places a smokescreen for Trump, while also saddling Biden with baggage that Putin wants him in power (presumably to have a weak rival.)

Putin’s a lot of things, but he’s not stupid. He’s aware that when Democrats are against Russian interests, pretending to side with Democrats gives Republicans a boost.

Putin still wants Trump elected, as before.

3 Likes