United States Presidential & Congressional Election 2024

Feels like the court is making every effort to bend over backwards to not be seen as politically biased. A political witchhunt wouldn’t have granted the original 30-day grace period (which was not mandatory but subjectively allowed), now the bond is reduced by over half.

The good news is that none of this prevents the enforcement if (lol) he loses his appeal. However, the trial isn’t slated to begin until close to the election, and there’s a chance he may become President and stall proceedings until he dies anyway.

1 Like

Somehow as a society we struggle to just treat Trump like a regular citizen. I doubt he’ll see anything like equal justice in his lifetime.

2 Likes

IFYP

2 Likes
2 Likes

It’s like a parent telling their kid they are going to count to 5…

1…2…3…4…4 1/2…4 3/4…we’re getting really close to 5 now…4 7/8…

3 Likes

i like this, if he can’t come up with the $175, then his pants will literally burst in flame.

Well then that would be really pathetic. Even I could come up with $175m!

I haven’t been following Trump’s legal entanglements. I’ll read a headline and a blurb here or there and that’s it.

Amusing sidebar.
On a personal note, 20 odd years ago, I had a legal ruling against me which I plead no contest to. The judge ruled to pay the fine to the bailiff or submit for the jail time. I requested of the judge that I could pay the fine in about ten days, Friday next week as that was when I got paid. The judge looked over at the prosecutor who rolled their eyes and did a little a shrug with his hands. Looking at me sternly with a little bit of disgust in her voice the judge said “Fine, Pay the bailiff on Friday or face a warrant for arrest.” I thanked her and left.

I did not have a job at the time. I did pay the fine on that Friday.

4 Likes

A lot of people are upset about the 2-tier justice system, and Trump getting his bond lowered with no explanation, but I think the stay has a lot of merit.

• Trump can either get the $175 million bond, or let James start collecting on the full $464 million. He’s not going to lie about whether or not he can get it, but instead will do so if he can.
  • If Trump were to win the appeal, or even get a partial win (that is, he loses on the portion of the damages that are directly due to more favorable interest rates, but wins on the portion of the damages stemming from further investment of those gains) then having to sell properties would cause him irreparable harm in the range of millions if not tens of millions of dollars.
  • His assets are not things he can flee with, so if he loses, stuff can get seized and the state will get its money. The usual reason for bond is to prevent default, which the state is protected from.

I think it’s interesting that the court issued their order without an accompanying statement saying that Trump is likely to win on appeal. Usually when reducing a bond, they would do so. Maybe this is reading into it too much, but that doesn’t seem like a great sign for Trump.

1 Like

Remember that Trump has a windfall coming with Truth Social going public as DJT.

Yes, there will be restrictions on his liquidating his position in DJT for a few months, but those restrictions can be waived by key folks who presumably are cultists.

Instead of seeking a waiver to partially liquidate to pay for the judgment, now he will be free to partially liquidate to pay for his campaign.

Very stable genius.

2 Likes

RFK Jr selects Nicole Shanahan as running mate

1 Like

This reads like it is from Trump too many posts lately seem to be ghost written. When I read these I imagine the text getting bigger and bolder as I read it.

2 Likes

It reads like a lunatic wrote it.

But I’m curious what his plan is to improve the ACA while lowering costs. I’m sure if he had just 2 more weeks in his last 4 year term he would have accomplished that.

7 Likes

I never heard of her and had to look her up. Ew, she reportedly had an affair with Elon Musk? Yeah, I’d deny that, too.

1 Like

Are we able to put these in the Truths no one is willing to admit thread? :wink:

2 Likes

Buden misinformates, the Afghanistan withdrawal Trump began was a disaster, Biden killed approximately 33,000,000 Americans, current inflation is higher than 23.7%, Trump will make inflation 0%, Trump loves Obamacare.

Genius.

1 Like

I didn’t know who she was either but didn’t she finance the cringy SB commercial for RFK Jr.?

Yeah, she coughed up $4million for that.

Looks like Biden has killed the oil and gas industry so much that it is producing more than anyone ever has. I’m sure this is bad news for Biden somehow.

1 Like