United States Presidential & Congressional Election 2024

Nobody wants it, but the world would be better if more of us were. (Their character, not anything to do with where they went to school)

2 Likes

Honestly I like PBR, and Merlot, and Sarah Vowell, and Jimmy Carter. I just found the mix amusing.

Developing story here, but Trump and the Saudis are really close to each other. They are paying a lot of money to use his courses for their golf league and this is basically a payout for using his name on a resort in Oman. Interesting they also limited oil output 6-7 weeks before the election that took place last week.

I find this stuff interesting as allegedly the rest of media is brainwashing people not Fox News.

To the surprise of no one

In his mind he is still President.

can confirm. From Trump country here. almost every Trump voter from 2020 I know has the same sentiment.

1 Like

Why are people assuming Desantis will run for 2024? So far Trump has announced, Desantis has not.

There’s no conflict here.

The Republican Party is going to push Desantis and abandon Trump. The smarter folks in their party seem to be getting on board. The Republican Governors convention basically crapped on Trump last night right before his announcement. Guess who their keynote speaker was?

2 Likes

I thought that part of the process of identifying candidates for President was party wonks tossing around names, seeing which ones stick, and seeing which candidates have the good sense to say “no”.

I think DeSantis’s name has stuck as being the potentially competent person to carry on the less-insane bits of GOP blackshirt dogma, and he certainly hasn’t said “no” yet.

Trump made the big announcement last night. I checked FoxNews online just now (10:50 Eastern).

The top story has a flattering photo of a smiling politician, red, white, and blue confetti, and the caption “STANDING OVATION”.

The photo is DeSantis. The headline is “Gov DeSantis receives ‘enthusiastic’ response from crowd at GOP event as party looks toward 2024”

The Trump story is a couple rows down, after stories on the FTX meltdown and the LA mayor’s race. Headline is “Trump ignores GOP rivals in White House run announcement”.

(interestingly, their photo includes a smiling Melania).

Murdoch has told Trump he is supporting DeSantis. Unless DeSantis manages to shoot his own foot off, he is running.

edit: just went back. Now the DeSantis and Trump stories a side-by-side, with the lead story changed to the House races.

I get that. But how much of this is just wishful thinking from republicans (and democrats?)

Like, Trump is 100% running. Desantis has given no indication that he wants to be president. We know how wishy washy republicans are. They will start bashing Desantis overnight if they need to.

Didn’t he have the awkward debate silence when asked about a run?

I think there might be some campaign finance rules that might benefit DeSantis from delaying any sort of announcement. Reading this, it seems like he could continue fundraising up to donor limits, then fundraise up to another donor limit under a presidential run. It looks like he could transfer his Florida money to the RNC that could then be used to support his own run.

That may not be exactly right, just a guess.

I agree with this.

I’ll add you don’t actually have to be an “every man” type, just play the part. W is a good example of a guy that came from an elite background (Phillips Academy, Yale, Harvard Business school, Skull & Bones), but played that folksy part to a T.

Of course trying to play the part can backfire if you don’t sound genuine. The regular mocking of Dr Oz for trying to play the part is a good recent example.

“Alright! Get him out of my hair for a few years!!”

1 Like

disagree.

4 Likes

I agree with you. I think the biggest indication he has given that he wants to be President is that he has given no indication that he doesn’t want to be President.

2 Likes

I will say one thing about Trump running for President again. The best things Democrats can do is be quiet about him. Let the Republicans tear him down from inside their ranks. Democrat talking about him will only harden the resolve of his supporters. Republicans telling them en masse that he sucks has a chance at changing their mind.

1 Like

I’m not certain about that. It depends on what you think the outcome of a Biden vs Desantis contest might be, and what the outcome of Biden vs Trump, round 2. (Or replace “Biden” with some other, younger Dem.)

If the GOP primary were held today, and Trump and Desantis were the only two names on the ballot, I would probably grab a barf bag, register as Republican, vote for Trump, and then do some form of penance.

I don’t want either Trump or Desantis in the White House. I think there’s a greater chance of Trump losing than Desantis.

(I don’t particularly want another term of Biden either, FWIW. But I would find that less bad than the other two.)

Well Desantis isn’t wholly owned by other countries and he’s not a malignant narcissist either. Whatever you think of his policies he is not nearly as dangerous as Donald Trump ever stepping into the White House again.

2 Likes