United States Congressional & Gubernatorial 2022 elections

Is it not a foregone conclusion that Democrats will win the remaining close races, including the Georgia runoff?

Not Colorado’s 3rd District. As AA points out, the difference between them is far smaller than the estimated votes remaining to count.

I had assumed the question was meant to be sarcastic in some way, although I’m not sure how. “Democrats are so deluded they think they’re gonna win”, or something like that?

Oh! Or an ironic declaring success in a race they didn’t win?

Nice. Ironic

[\red]

Democrats just keep counting until they have enough votes / Trump is the right response.

Maybe New Jersey.

It might be some attempt at a “the election is rigged” thing.

Looking at actual vote counts, it’s really surprising to me that Georgia’s 2 Senate candidates have almost 2 million votes each and Arizona’s are only on pace for around 1.3 million each. I would have guessed they are similarly populated states. Internet says 7.6 million in AZ and Georgia 10.8 million.

Also a student at church was telling me about their English class and that they read the Gettysburg address today. I have been to the Lincoln Memorial 3 times and all 3 times I have been I have read the Gettysburg Address and the Emancipation Proclamation all the way through. I guess the election being yesterday really put it into perspective that we have no Abe Lincoln’s in politics these days. The folks running our country today are so far below that standard that it’s quite sad to ponder.

1 Like

I just flipped on CNN and they were saying that a lot of the uncounted ballots in Colorado are military, which have 8 days to come in.

And Boebert is now only 64 votes down. :grimacing:

I guess I didn’t realize how close this race was, but Frisch and other Dems already outperformed polls by a lot like I expected and I’m not expecting that to change much now, if at all. McCarthy seems to think he’s going to be Speaker but I’m not so sure.

Is there any one person you think has a decent chance?

I heard 3,200 uncounted mail-ins, forget what county. Decent chance we get a recount and don’t know for a couple of weeks?

Yeah that’s crazy. Makes it more dramatic.

Twice if you count the women’s tournament.

The state elections in Michigan seem to be one of the less talked about but bigger stories of the election. Whitmer came away with a solid win and democrats took control of the entire state government. In spite of the headwinds from inflation and a midterm that should have given Republicans a big advantage.

I think whitmer should be given a lot of credit for this. Mallory McMorrow looks like a rising star in the party.

Shapiro looks like a strong win as well for the party in Pennsylvania. I think they are seeing something similar there, hopefully that can continue under Shapiro.

Disappointing to see wisconsin go for johnson in the senate, so more work to do there, but it at least looks like the ground work and finding quality candidates in these states is paying off.

Hopefully Republicans really take notice from the election and pivot as well.

1 Like

DeSantis reaffirmed his proud anti-wokeness in his victory speech…Florida certainly seems like it is the epicenter of anti-wokeness in the form of book banning and other nonsense. McMorrow had a great speech on the floor of the Michigan state capitol earlier this year that rejected this anti-woke mentality very effectively. Hoping that type of messaging can catch on and neutralize DeSantis and his nonsense. 2022 might be peak DeSantis, which unfortunately for him was not a presidential election year.

I think peak DeSantis is yet to come. 2022 just demonstrated we’re past peak Trump.

2 Likes

<3. Do we have an alternate history thread for this?

My usual dark thinking process goes that we wouldn’t know or care if Lincoln was alive today. He just happened to represent the biggest issue in our history. But if he presided at some other time, representing any other issue, nobody would remember him. Nor was he particularly successful. It doesn’t matter that he was a great man, he couldn’t prevent the war at all. In fact we hated him so much we murdered 600k of our own people for nothing. There was no stopping it.

And the Gettysburg Address is a depressing reminder of that fact. He points out that 20k died for equality, and pointedly doesn’t mention the 30k men gave up their lives to prevent equality. Of course those 30k confederates didn’t know they were dying for evil, no doubt they thought they were dying for some other Christian cause, which excuses them in a way, but also makes the whole situation more depressing. All in all, a disgusting reminder that mankind is guided mostly by tribalism and ideology, and hardly at all by Righteousness.

…Anyway. That’s not entirely to contradict you. I agree that Biden is no Lincoln lol.

4 Likes

Trying to think of a speech (may have even been Obama…) that highlighted the notion that America hasn’t been and isn’t perfect, but the point is the strive to continuously work towards our ideals of freedom, equality, democracy, etc.

2 Likes

The Newsroom?