United States Congressional & Gubernatorial 2022 elections

Very small shift towards blue since yesterday’s SCOTUS’ Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization ruling.

PA flipped to D, but only barely (~54D-46R vs ~48D-52R previously). A few others moved five or so points stronger for the D but didn’t change the binary outcome.

If it weren’t for yesterday’s news I would’ve just chalked up today’s movements to the vagaries of the market.

I realize Ilhan Omar is a Representative and not a Senator (and I didn’t want to start a new thread, this one seemed close enough), but wow, this doesn’t look like a good look for her. She’s in downtown Minneapolis, at a concert featuring a Somali musician, and a predominantly Somali crowd, and gets booed and jeered by the crowd for over a minute.

What’s going on here? Is she that unpopular in her own community? Did the crowd just want her off the stage and want the musician to play? Is this a bad sign for the democrats this fall? Something else?

That’s not a very convincing video that she is unpopular. From the stage you hear mostly cheers. And see maybe 10% giving her a thumbs down? The end of the video is taken from the crowd where some people were chanting get out and stfu. That could literally be a group of 5 people around whoever recorded the video.

1 Like

Um, I heard mostly boos. Only a few people yelling “get the f*** out of here” but it seemed like a lot more booing than cheering. Which surprised me, to be honest.

I’m curious how many people were booing because they don’t like her and how many were booing because they were impatient for the concert to start.

1 Like

Did the booers have Somali accents?
I’m guessing the sound was not perfectly mixed so as to provide a truthful account. 'cuz phone.
Add in the incentive for a small fraction of people to make libs cry, and I think it’s pretty obvious what is going on. If you need it spelled out, I can do that.

Here’s what Newsweek had to say (excerpts selected by me, but I provided the link so you can read the full article if you wish):

As I understand, in order to get a legal abortion in Somalia you must have permission from your husband, or if he is out of the country then your father or your brother. But illegal abortions are common, using pills.

Homosexual sex is a capital crime in southern Somalia and illegal everywhere in Somalia. Obviously no gay marriage or trans rights either.

I’m not exactly sure what the views are of Somali immigrants, but offhand I’d guess more liberal than the average Somali but more conservative than Ilhan Omar.

1 Like

I guess they could go back to Somalia if they don’t like it here.
Oh, yeah, Somalia sucks, and that’s why they’re here.
Mostly white people yelling for her to GTFO.
Newsweek is now a Conservative rag. Take what you want from it.

1 Like

I couldn’t find the story on CNN or MSNBC. :woman_shrugging:

Another interesting fact.

Of course, they will bury this, cuz “libtard media.”

Not on my Google News feed, but probably because I don’t care to read it.

Another Somali woman who was running in the GOP primary to unseat Omar (but withdrew from the primary) had this to say:

Only one Somali woman’s view of course, but supports the idea that at least some Somalis are upset by her stance on abortion and LGBT rights.

I don’t see what can possibly learned from a single crown booing a congresswoman. Especially when house members are elected from a relatively small area.

It is interesting to think that some of the more marginalized groups who are part of the Democratic coalition themselves have some more culturally conservative views that may be in tension with the Democratic platform.

:iatp:
Title and OP updated:

NOTE: This thread started out as Senate-only but has expanded to include the entire Congressional elections.

2 Likes

I guess the boos didn’t really happen until she started speaking, which is maybe a fairer assessment point than the start of the video. It was still pretty meh.

1 Like

Not a congressional election, but here’s an interesting gubernatorial strategy the Dems appear to be taking in MD. The GOP frontrunner Schullz is more of a traditional republican and she’s running against a MAGA nutter. The Dems are running ads that appear to be boosting the MAGA candidate, presumably because that sort of opponent should be easier for them to defeat in the general election:

Not a problem - thread title updated!

Same thing in Illinois. There, the Trump right wing candidate won.

Oooh…this could be brilliant or brutal.

From what I’ve seen on ads in CO and IL, the strategy is focused on the message of “[Candidate X] is too conservative for [this state].”

Is “[Candidate X]” the MAGA candidate or the more “traditional republican”?

If I understand correctly, it’s the MAGA candidate, and the Democrats are hoping Republican voters will take “too conservative” as a positive, and vote for him, and he’ll win the Republican primary, but then he’ll lose the general election.