United States Congressional & Gubernatorial 2022 elections

That says it is exclusive to subscribers, so I haven’t looked at it, but if it’s merely speculating then that too is not an actual accusation.

Your next article is MSNBC, so I’m not sure what’s in the WaPo article. But the MSNBC headline is speculating on the contents of the classified documents… decidedly NOT accusing him of selling them.

I don’t even know what that means, but the next article also appears to be more speculation on the contents of the classified documents rather than making accusations of espionage.

The first thing I noticed in the next article is: (emphasis mine)

Seems pretty clear that they are not accusing Trump of espionage.

Wait, wait… do you mean to tell me that there are idiots with Twitter accounts? STOP THE PRESS!!!

Just kidding… randos making up dumb s*** on Twitter is evidence of precisely nothing. Same for Reddit.

So that’s it… you have provided zero evidence of anyone, other than random idiots on social media that is, accusing Trump of espionage.

2 Likes

You asked “Who is making this association? So far you are the only one I’ve seen mentioning it.”

I answered with numerous examples. I didn’t see in your question where only certain people count.

Feel free to rephrase your question if you intended it to read differently. “Who of any importance is making this association?” is perhaps what you intended to type, but isn’t actually what you typed.

I have no doubt that Trump intentionally took classified documents to MaL. And, he played games to avoid returning them when he was called on it.

He is guilty by this standard “knowingly removes such documents or materials without authority and with the intent to retain such documents or materials at an unauthorized location”.

OTOH, it is a big stretch to say he sold them to some foreign government, or bartered them for something. Not impossible, but I haven’t seen any evidence.

If the Ds want to amplify solid information, fine. I think they hurt themselves by running with speculation.

Ok, fine. You and other random people on social media who very few people treat as an actual news source have made some wild accusations that as far as we know, no serious politician has (so far) made. Doesn’t seem like a major Democratic Party strategy at this point, which is what you seemed to imply.

1 Like

If the Ds want to amplify solid information, fine. I think they hurt themselves by running with speculation.

To be fair, it’s not just the Ds that do this. We’re at a point, and have been more some time, where the rhetorical narrative almost always supersedes the factual narrative, sometimes to the point of outlets barely even caring about the factual narrative at all. I pointed out in another thread how Fox News of course did the same thing with Hillary’s emails in 2018 by making this foreign adversaries association.

And so far there’s no evidence that as a party they are actually doing this. Maybe a few randos on the lunatic fringe, but not party leadership or anything.

Sure. Now I’m conflicted. I assume the Ds will be embarrassed and lose support from the Independents if it turns out their speculation isn’t true.

But, do I believe the same thing about the Rs? Or does their speculation just become “fact” from constant repetition, even if it never proves out?

Do I have different standards, or do I think their potential supporters have different standards? I suppose I’m assuming the latter.

1 Like

I am a Inquirer subscriber, so I can read the whole article. I’ll repost part of it here. Note that it is explicitly labeled Opinion, not news reporting. It is also from Feb 24, so well before there was explicit government reference to the Espionage Act. Overall it (and that member of the Inquirer Editorial staff, is very anti-Trump.

then later

and later

Then the last 3 paragraphs (only part of the antepenultimate)

Note that the first of those is referring to the possibility of being paid to keep official documents hidden, not of being paid for revealing secrets.

1 Like

Case in point. The Big Lie. Much of which has been stated as fact, not even called speculation by the speakers.

I was just watching the Today show and right after mentioning the Espionage Act the reporter emphatically noted that none of this means that DJT is thought to be a spy. Acting like the idea that DJT is a spy is anywhere close to mainstream at this point in time is a joke.

3 Likes

This forum is good for my vocabulary.

2 Likes

From what i have read, legally “espionage” has a much broader meaning than the everyday meaning.

Kind of the opposite of “collude.”

So trump may have committed espionage without being a spy. And he can collude with russia in the common meaning of the word without doing so criminally.

Preantepenultimate is also a word FWIW.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like speculation rather than accusation. And obviously prior to the FBI raid.

I had a boss look at me like I was from Mars when I used the word “penultimate” in conversation. Or rather, he looked at me like I was from Mars when I realized that he had been assuming that it meant “last” and I pointed out that it actually meant “second to last”. He didn’t believe me and had to look it up. :woman_shrugging: