Truths No One Wants to Admit

Everything Aretha Franklin sang from the 1980s forward is crap.

1 Like

That may be true. On the other hand, she was absolutely upper echelon during the late 60’s/early 70’s. Her covers from that time are some of the best ever, but rarely heard.

1 Like

No, it’s absolutely true. Read the title of this thread.

3rookie isn’t going to want to admit that, though, are they? Read the title of this thread.

2 Likes

Mods, please ban anyone who disagrees with a truth stated in this thread and thereby attempts to perpetuate lies against humanity.

TIA

3 Likes

Is this GOAs version of Truth Social where you can post the real truth of what is going on in the world?

1 Like

No, because Truth Social posts “the real truth” based on feelings but are disproven by facts.

This is where you point out things like “Costco > Sam’s Club and even people who are Sam’s Club members know it.” Because … well, because Costco > Sam’s Club, and even people who are Sam’s Club members know it.

2 Likes

“Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.”-Donald Trump
(Well he didn’t say it but he sure wishes he thought of something that clever.)

New York City has the best pizza. Better than both that in Chicago and Italy.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” is a terrible song, even considering the notion that it’s about Caroline Kennedy [according to Neil in 2014, it’s not] it’s terrible, and the only reason people sing to it at sporting events is because they’re not willing to buck peer pressure.

2 Likes

I heard some wanna be lounge singer do Sweet Caroline:. :grimacing:

1 Like

I would guess that most people only know the chorus of that song, and many who belt it out at a sporting event probably don’t even know the singer.

Source: I am one such person (well, I don’t belt it out, but I find myself humming along). When I am told it’s Neil Diamond I remember that I knew that before, but it doesn’t stick.

1 Like

They just like to go “bah, bah, bah!” and “so good! so good!”

2 Likes

You’re all proving my point here. Take out the chorus and “touchin’ me, tuh-chIN- YEWWW” and virtually no one can recite one line from the song by memory. It’s all hm-hm-hm-hmmm, … hmm-hm-hmmm … hmm, … and then that little bit where everyone screams like the 2am lounge act at the Holiday Inn at the airport.

And honestly, people don’t remember the second part of the chorus. No one knows. For all you all know, it’s “I had a line, it calls out from in the hood, hood, hood, hood.” It could be “I pantomime, can stop horse tan in the wood, wood, wood, wood.” No one knows.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the case for a lot of older songs? Like, Don’t Stop Believing, or Smells Like Teen Spirit, or Living on a Prayer?

Or, as my son would say, Squidward on a Chair!

1 Like

You mean every Nirvana song, where the lyrics can be replaced by moaning and whining fragments of words and it’s exactly the same song.

2 Likes

There’s a bathroom on the right.

1 Like

I remember at a certain bar in the 90’s some “old people” (really just people 5 years older than me) would request this song and belt it out. I never knew it was a “thing” and never thought it would be around today.