Trump permabanned

Yeah, last I checked no one was being banned for talking about states rights, their religion, small government, capitalism, etc. They’re being banned for talking about killing liberals and overthrowing the government.

1 Like

Republican Party can try to have a platform that is something other than, “Own the Libs.”

2 Likes

Clearly big tech is evil and these moves are political, lets not ask ourselves why the GOP now can only communicate on social media platforms that promote violence.

When was the last time you heard a conservative talk about conservative issues and principles with out invoking one of those. I considered myself a conservative for decades but gave up on the term when I found I couldn’t have a discussion on principles or issues with other conservatives.

Yep, Trumpkins are totally clueless on all conservative topics except for gun rights and abortion. That’s it. They know nothing else about the traditional conservative platform.

Some might say they are clueless on those issues as well

1 Like

It’s not just me? Used to be you could call yourself a conservative and people would think you’re maybe a bit of a capitalist against govt spending. Now the term coincides with racism, homophobia and being a Social Neanderthal.

Basically the term now means you’re socially stunted and willfully ignorant.

1 Like

I realized the “conservative” label was a sham when proud chest-thumping conservatives would bellow “we believe in smaller, less-intrusive government and more individual rights” and then talk about all the intrusive things government should be involved in that infringed on individual rights because … Bible. God. Geeeee-zus. If it could be cited in the Bible, it was fair grounds for government to intrude all they wanted. Otherwise, it was government overreach - and eventually, tyranny.

Seeing conservatives tweet criticisms of Twitter banning conservative speech is making me giggle.

1 Like

What you call the suspension of the Twitter accounts of 2 people who’ve actively demonstrated they don’t support the United States?

A start. Not nearly good enough, but better than nothing. Prediction: Mqrjqriq Tqylqr Grqqnq gets at least this in the next 24 hours, if she’s not thrown off completely.

I grew up thinking I was a conservative, but eventually made friends who were homosexual, of color, and/or disabled, and acquired empathy for the poor (even those who actively vote against their own interests), and that changed.

Wait until you take macroeconomics and find out that sometimes gov’t spending is a good thing and doesn’t really cost very much. You end up with conservative you struggling with rational you. Who will win? News at 11.

1 Like

I became somewhat Keynesian and, to a moral limit, utilitarian later in life. I was never truly libertarian (private roads, fire departments, etc.)

Those people just have the freedom of never governing in such an extreme way to be able to make silly comments like that. Econ 101 goes through the concepts of public vs private goods. If we struggle with the notion of a fire dpt being a public good then the person should read up on what used to happen in Roman times.

I read a book last year called The Deficit Myth. It totally changed the way I view economics and specifically around the money supply and the government’s role in it. I can’t be a conservative anymore, even as a pastor. Claiming the moral high ground was a huge sham.

1 Like

I haven’t actually read that book, although I learned more about it when my Dad read it. It certainly isn’t well reviewed by many economists.

Classical economists don’t like Modern Monetary Theory. Once I understood it, it makes sense to me as a tool to monitor government spending, it explains a lot of the weird results in monetary economics we have seen in the past that classical economists cannot.

The author of the book tries to use the concept to justify spending money on some of her priorities. I think that part is a little unacademic, but the author does a good job explaining the concepts whether I agree with her recommended policy changes or not.

Biggest argument for deficit spending right now: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/interest-rates/pages/textview.aspx?data=yield

1 Like

:iatp:

I might have to check this one out. Years ago I did follow the MMT crowd, at the time Warren Mosler was kind of the champion of the idea, I’m not sure how the Univ of MO Kansas City became the hub but Stephanie, L Wrandall Wray, and Scott Fullwiler (who taught me some econ in college), and a few others fell into the fray. It’s been quite a while since I’ve perused MMT and it’s probably evolved a bit.

Mosler’s ‘Soft Currency Economics’ was really eye-opening for me as an undergrad, and his theory on full employment.

1 Like