Transgender trends and politics in the US

I just got served this ad elsewhere after reading this post. Hmm…

https://www.ama-assn.org/practice-management/scope-practice/why-scope-creep-tops-state-medical-associations-priority-list?

1 Like

When was the last time you had an actuary go over your deductible selections!?

1 Like

Lol. Time to debunk myths!

Here’s a Cochrane review:
https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001271.pub3/full

TLDR: nurses might be better in every way. Except costs, because nobody can possibly understand how much anything costs these days.

Here’s my favorite internet opinion:

TLDR: I’m a doctor! I’m top dawg! WTF guys!

Its friday night already?

4 Likes

The only problem with this that I can foresee is what happens when the nurse practitioner makes a dispensing mistake.

They will need to be covered by malpractice insurance.

So more $$$

Yeah, but that’s not a “problem” that’s part of the solution. If nurses suck, hopefully it will show up in their rates.

IIRC, any medication prescribed by an RN is done under the supervision of an MD or DO; so I believe that the “malpractice” will still fall on the MD/DO.

At any rate, it’s common for nurse practitioners to prescribe drugs in the US, so I’m certain “who pays the liability when they are wrong” is as solved a problem as it is for doctors.

2 Likes

Eh, i yam what i yam, regardless of labels. Pronouns weren’t the fight when i was young, and i still don’t much care. And I’m not looking for testosterone or other anticistamine healthcare. Fwiw, i am routinely “sirred” over the phone, and bundled up in winter clothes, it’s even happened in person.

I will say that my presentation is masculine enough that i expect to be granted masculine privilege dealing with contractors and such, and when that doesn’t happen, I’m not only annoyed, but also surprised.

(I have female friends who need to have their husband talk to the plumber because he won’t listen to them. That’s totally not my experience.)

So… :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

All because you know too much math…
I’ll see myself out

RN != NP (nurse practitioner)

NP’s prescribe medication without supervision.

What Is a Nurse Practitioner?.

1 Like

Chances are, at some point you’ll be treated by a nurse practitioner or a physician assistant instead of a doctor. Will your care suffer?

1 Like

that is all that matters. and the labels change so much, i can’t keep up. Oddly, to me, it is the Queer community that is applying all these labels in an attempt to cover everyone. I think it alienates, mire than it creates inclusion.

for 95% of care i doubt it matters. If they are trained to recognize the other 5% and refer it properly, then, 100% of the time it won’t matter

1 Like

I love being able to go to a (relatively) cheap nurse practitioner at the urgent care clinic for all sorts of minor stuff. Strep throat? Ear infection? They are on it.

About 2 months ago, in honor of women’s history month, Miller Lite created an awesome women in beer commercial:

One of the leading anti-trans “news” sites just found out about this and is pissed off, just trying to remind us that a significant portion of transphobia is really repacked misogyny.

4 Likes

Fox News may be getting first hand look at cancel culture.

3 Likes

Matt Walsh is also partly calling for a boycott of Fox News b/c company policy is literally that he is too much of an asshole to appear on the network. Carlson bucked that rule a couple of times, but now that he is gone, Walsh will no longer appear as a guest.

Think about how terrible you have to be as a human being that Fox News thinks you are too extreme to appear as a guest.

Edit: Walsh has also recently said that Fox News is indistinguishable from MSNBC on trans rights. He’s taking the Carlson firing well.

3 Likes

Ireland, instead of US, but same idea. Drunk man decided 86 year old woman with dementia was trans and thus a pedophile, so he beat her up. Almost as if the incendiary language used by the right has consequences.

1 Like

In the US this time: Target is removing some of their pride month clothing from stores b/c Target store workers are being physically threatened by protestors. I get boycotts, but how crazy do you have to be to be physically threatening employees who don’t make any decisions about what products the store carries? Going out on a limb here, but guessing that most of the people physically threatening the employees also object to `cancel culture’.

I’ve also seen some threads on Twitter about what it means for a swimsuit to be `tuck friendly’. On the one hand, I think it is totally reasonable for cis people to not know how to tuck, but at the same time it’s pretty hilarious to read about how people think tucking works.

1 Like