Tonal

this is more like in a reality show where I’m recapping our conversation for the camera

Stop showing off.

hey, that’s my signature spilling coffee on the stairs move you’re talking about, be nice

1 Like

I don’t.

I am motivated by live people. That’s why i pay a nice woman to join a video chat with me every week and tell me, “now do this”.

Your body is heavy enough to be the weights you need for most stuff. I additionally bought a small set of hand weights. (I have two each in 1, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20 pounds. They all fit behind the bathroom door.) When i need more weight, i do push ups or something. Oh, and i have a set of elastic bands.

Find a good trainer. She’ll motivate you more than an expensive machine.

A good trainer is more expensive than the machine.

Yes, but she will motivate you. And if she doesn’t, you will learn that well before you spend $4000.

Forms of yoga can also be used for strength training

I’ve had a personal trainer and yes it works - but he was cheap and lived near my old place. Finding a new trainer doesn’t really give me the flexibility I want for working out at home -and- it’s more expensive, so Tonal is the alternative that I’m considering now.

I don’t doubt that. I’m going 2 times a week and would like to boost it back up to 3.

Wait, weren’t you the one that bought the SMEG toaster?

There are alternatives other than Tonal to working at home…

Only you know if the tonal will provide the community you need to get the additional motivation a personal trainer would otherwise give you.

We have a Peloton. It doesn’t motivate me one additional bit. However, it does motivate my wife in a very similar manner that you are looking for. There are are variety of groups and challenges that involve spin and strength training classes. AFAIK, these challenges involve joining a “team” and completing the assigned workouts contribute to team “points.” All of this provides the community and motivation a personal trainer/running partner/etc has in the past, in the comfort and convenience of being in our house. IMO, it is well worth the upfront and ongoing cost.

1 Like

BTW, I approve of spending extravagantly.
But I’m also into working out.

I get not wanting to leave the house to work out, but this is a stretch.

If personal trainers are too expensive and inflexible, how about crossfit or orange theory classes.

I thought that was you.

Question - can you try said machine before you buy it or are you just going in blind here?

If you can try it and like it I’d say go for it.

Others mentioned they would not buy a SMEG toaster because it has the word SMEG on it. I’m unaffected by how others feel about the word SMEG being prominently featured on the side of my sweet pink toaster. I buy things because I like the things that I buy.

It says there’s a 30-day free trial - the only problem with that is you’ll certainly be left with several holes in your wall if you end up not keeping the thing.

Kinda the whole point behind all the exams, no?

Yeah I don’t count that. I figured as much. In that case, once I get a thing I’d likely just keep it as the default.

Oof.