Tonal

Y’all are actuaries, don’t none of you get motivated by a thing that tracks your numbers and provides fancy graphs? Or scans your body and adjusts the weight automatically?

…is that OddSox typing?!

Crap I think I scared him off.

I’m sure many do.
I do not.

husband here

the main thing you’re paying for with this is the convenience + space savings + all of the additional gamification and classes and all of that jazz, and if it gets us exercising more than we would have for a while, I’m definitely down with that, I’m a lot more interested in potentially pulling the trigger than I was on first hearing about it, and the reviews of the actual product seem really strong.

my current list of cons that haven’t been discussed yet:

• price is actually worse than Tiff mentioned, you have a $50/month subscription fee on top of the equipment purchase for a lot of the functionality, and that’s pretty grating
  • more than that, worried about the repair aspect if something goes wrong, install lead time is 8 weeks or more to get one currently which to me, means that if something goes wrong it’ll be a similar amount of time before it gets fixed
  • customer service reviews for the company are pretty spotty, which for a premium-priced product like this I would really want some more of those dollars going towards that area of the business
1 Like

I’d considered posting this, well, not exactly like that, except gyms add overhead of travel time. They’re great for people that want to to use the gym as a getaway but there’s something to be said for a home gym. An hour on the treadmill takes me exactly an hour, whereas a gym would probably add a 1/2 hour on for me.
Plus I like the solitude. Sometimes I sing when I’m on the treadmill. Nobody needs to hear that.

1 Like

If it’s not gonna roll over and kiss you in the morning either, then eff it!!! :-1:

1 Like

Also need to consider how much the quality of the classes will be when this company goes bankrupt like Peloton

definitely $500 on the tournament poker part lol, although Vegas obviously involves other expenses

Review #1: Tonal Smart Home Gym Review: The TRUTH After 6 Months - YouTube

I’d be looking at it as ‘if we use this thing for five years, is the resulting $X/month worth it?’ and anything else would be gravy, but obviously there’s a lot of downside risk to that five year number also

Review #2: Tonal. Worth the Hype? (Full Review and Workout Demo) - YouTube

multi-k “fitness” purchases are rarely about the thing itself, and more about the status of being able to buy the thing. If @Tiffany wants the status of being able to say she works out like Lebron, then buy the damn thing. If you want fitness, you’ve got plenty of options already in this thread, on YouTube, etc. Spending more money won’t give you motivation you don’t already have. You’re doing a lot of work to try to get us to justify your impulse buy, with very little to show for it other than “if it makes you happy, go for it.”

Based on @OddSox 's statement that there’s an 8 week delay for installation, I say put down the deposit, then work out 4x / week for those 8 weeks. If you can do that, then the Tonal is probably going to be worth it. If not, cancel the installation and consider that you’re forfeiting your $500 (or whatever) deposit a lesson that’s saving you $3.5k.

Please tell me Tiffany and OddSox were both WFH while having this conversation.

1 Like

One thing that’s good about at-home treadmills/gyms, you can pass gas as frequently as you want.

Maybe…

This is the literal purpose of a personal trainer.

I just want to go on record in support of this*.

*By “this” I mean this thread & the continued attempt to justify spending too much on something you’ve already decided you want & are going to buy eventually regardless of what anyone else in this thread says. The reason I’m in full support of this thread not only existing but also continuing on for a while is because it got @OddSox to post here again.

1 Like

A gym is like $40/month. Pick one closer than your work gym. Even if they lock you in for a year, you’re only spending $500.

If motivation is a problem, join the gym with a friend (or husband :wink: ). I’ve had a home gym, and I’ve always used the commercial gym more. I felt more accountable to myself when I went to the gym. Helps set a schedule. (Plus, I would be there the same time as a few of my buddies, so they would give me shit when I didn’t go. No one cared if I didn’t do my workout at home…)

Around here, we have a dozen private gyms. Costs about $150/month, but they are small. You get to know core group of like-minded people. If you can find the right place, it’s great. Most will offer a hybrid of open gym time, classes and personal training.

Things people have told me that I bought exclusively to show off to other people
A Short Story

#1: My house
The people I’m showing off to: The kids, the Amazon delivery guy, I would say the neighbors but we have the smallest house on the block, maybe that last fact also eliminates the Amazon guy
Source: The kids
Reality: One needs a place to live. I decided on a budget that includes only my salary and not my husbands. I got a map, pinpointed the kids house, drew a circle with a 20 minute radius around it. I saw one house, bid on exactly one house, and live in said house.

#2: The kids
The people I’m showing off to: Their grandparents
Source: The kids
Reality: I don’t even know what this means, but we’re apparently “showing off” the kids to their grandparents too much. Maybe it’s the fact that I don’t have my own biological kids, but I don’t see the value in shoving a kid in someone’s face and going “hey look at this thing isn’t it neat?! It talks too! Sometimes it even lives in MY house. BTW, have you seen my HOUSE?!”

#3: The Tonal
The people I’m showing off to: Prospective dates
Source: Bro
Reality: Current at-home fitness equipment includes one flight of stairs. If Bro agrees to come over and guilt me into running up and down them 40 times a day, then I guess I don’t need a Tonal.

Footage not found.

2 Likes