Toilet seat poll

Personally, as a short legged human, I prefer out mainfloor toilet height, as it is lower and functions as a squatty potty. Unfortunately it is a round seat.

The upstairs toilet is much taller, but is elongated with a hot water bidet seat installed.

Basement toilet is round and smaller and creepy as hell.

dont you have a death that fits the shape of the bowl?

I dont want my seat extending beyond the bowl

I don’t really think people started getting them in their houses until the McMansion trend started in the 90s. Before then bathrooms were smaller and appliances were more standardized.

Mine were all purchased after that, so you might be right. But they fit fine in all my bathrooms, including the tiny one in the basement.

Shut-off valves are a critical must, for exactly that reason. There’s an outlet for water? There should probably be a shut-off there.

Just make sure you use plumber’s tape. Not glue. Gluing on the shut-off valve and then it gets stuck because the water is hard and the cold water in the house doesn’t go through the water softener, so all the minerals eventually jam up the shut-off and you want to change it and you finally have to cut the pipe, and you have to do that 8 fucking times? That fucking sucks.

Or so my buddy Ned says.

i don’t know what you mean by an “outlet for water”. I see nothing even resembling a shut off valve. I asked the super, and he checked and saw no shut off valve either. I’m like, cool story bro, good luck in my apartment not flooding the entire building one day.

actually, i see some turny thing under the sink. could that control the water to the toilet too. super said there was nothing, but he could be wrong.

Have a faucet? Toilet? Washer hook up? Hot water tank? They should all have a shut-off on the pipe leading to it. Guessing you don’t have an external faucet, but if you did it should have one too.

Would it surprise me if someone said “my apartment doesn’t have them?” Nope. Putting those in is a minor expense, but it takes time. Builders skip it, and then landlords put the burden on tenants when there’s problems. There will be a master shut-off that kills the entire building, maybe usually one for a floor / region, sometimes (not always, though) there’s one to each apartment, but thse are all accessible by building maintenance. After that, you’re on your own.

I have a sink with a faucet. there is a thing below it that might shut stuff off, but unsure if that leads to the toilet. the super seemed to think i didn’t have a shut-off valve. if you’re saying that it’s possible the builder skipped it, then ya, that’s definitely possible. my bathroom has not been changed since the building was built in the 60’s.

If you have a shut-off under the sink, it won’t also shut off to the toilet. That shut-off will be near the toilet. Shut-offs are usually within a few feet of the outlet.

yeah, then fairly certain I don’t have a shut-off to the toilet. I’ve had shut off valves in my prior apartments and it was always in the same place.

I can’t believe my toilet thread got more responses than the one about Afghanistan

2 Likes

I dunno about you, but I know a lot more about my toilets than about what’s happening in Afghanistan. I’ve been listening to the news. But I don’t have anything intelligent to add.

2 Likes

Same, I don’t know a ton, but everything seems to be going down the crapper in Afghanistan. Unclear if the crapper is round or elongated but I suppose it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Taliban Reconquista

I think Afghanistan kinda looks like an elongated toilet

I think having a poll as a toilet seat would be tricky.

1 Like

If the opening is big enough for my poop to come out unimpeded, then I don’t care what kind of seat/bowl it has.

2 Likes

The poll is irrelevant. If you don’t have a toilet at least as good as this one, then you’re depriving yourself.
Intelligent Chair Height Compact Elongated Toilet and Bidet Toilet Seat | Bathroom | KOHLER | KOHLER

That’s quite a bit. I am seriously thinking about getting a Toto and even those don’t run up that high mostly, with the exception of the top of the line neorest models.

I like my toto.

• 17" is taller than I want.
  • I like that my toilet does not require power to flush. You can manually dump water into the tank if you need to. That backup battery probably dies and needs to be replaced from time to time.
  • I chose not to buy the one that opens and closes the lid. Seemed more “creepy” than “helpful”. In fact, I turned off some features it does have because my husband found them creepy.
  • Heated seat and heated bidet water are great. (and I can live without them during a power outage.)
  • The Kohler stainless steel wand may be better than the Toto plastic wand, but I haven’t had any issues yet.
  • The basic toilet that I attached the bidet seat to flushes really reliably.