Today I learned

Yesterday at casa del BG we had Dunkin’ Donuts for breakfast. The normal people had one. I had 3.

in which universe is that “normal”?

Bagels are usually eaten with a topping. Cream cheese and butter are common. Eating just a dry bagel is not the norm, in my experience. (Although i do like to chew on one from time to time.)

I like a couple fried eggs, some bacon and cheese on mine.

Fired in a brick oven?

Fixed the typo. Thanks, I think.

1 Like

Isn’t a bagel just a cream cheese delivery system?

4 Likes

1 Like

Most of the time, when I eat a bagel, it is in sandwich form. Most often with Taylor Ham on it. (‘Pork roll’ for the incognoscenti) Sometimes it’s a lunchtime sandwich.

On the rare occasion, I’ll eat just a bagel. No toppings–none are appealing to me.

(Side note, the only thing I ever put on toast is grape jelly. No butter. Nothing else. I toast my bagels, therefore I don’t put the jelly on them)

I love Taylor Ham but not generally available in California though I did find an Italian deli south east of Sacramento that Carries it but it’s not close to me.

Some bagels I like toasted with butter but most of the times it’s cream cheese and sometime lox.

I rarely get a bagel “sandwich” the breakfast or lunch varieties.

Misread

I find bagels an inferior delivery system for sandwich filling.

2 Likes

Man at Miami University just off campus in uptown Oxford there was/is this awesome sandwich shop called Bagel & Deli. Highly recommend if you ever find yourself in Oxford, OH at mealtime.

They had about a gazillion different bagel sandwiches on their menu and they were all awesome.

Some favorites:
Banana Surprise - cream cheese, sliced bananas, cinnamon sugar on banana nut

Jeopardy Bagel - What is ham, Swiss and Colby on sourdough rye?

Tonya Harding Club - turkey, ham, bacon, Colby, Swiss on plain - it’s a hit!

Lottery Bagel - one meat, one cheese, two solid toppings, two liquid toppings. We choose. Do you feel lucky?

Ben Roethlisberger and Wally Szczerbiak also have their own bagels.

Anywho, they steam their bagels. Which at first I thought “gross”, but was actually super amazing.

I could totally go for a Montreal bagel right about now!!! :drooling_face:

Or a smoked salmon bagel from Einstein’s!!! :yum:

TIL some people eat a lot of Worcester sauce.

I believe I only knew one Catholic family from my town while growing up. There might have been others but this Mexican family was the only ones I knew. They were either not very active or they just didn’t do the ash thing. I had heard of Ash Wednesday and Lent but didn’t know about the ash on the forehead thing.

The first time I saw it was when I moved to Michigan for my first job out of college. First person I saw with it I was going to go mention it but being an actuary, I didn’t talk to people much so I didn’t. Then over the course of the day I saw a few more people with it and asked a coworker who explained it to me. Yes, I felt pretty embarrassed.

I am back in Utah, in a place that has much more diversity than where I grew up and have seen it off and on through the years back here.

I don’t recall when I had my first bagel but I’m pretty sure I was >35 YO, though I had heard of them before that but didn’t know really what they were.

IFYP

Hot ass?

1 Like

What’s funny to me, is I didn’t realize there weren’t a lot of Catholics in my area where I grew up. I mean, everybody at my church was Catholic…

… it wasn’t until I got older and looked up some stats (also, I had moved around a lot), I realized that we had been in a diocese with a pretty low number of Catholics at the time. Of course, the Yankee influx fixed that right up.

Never thought about it growing up, didn’t really seperate Christians into denominations