Today I learned

Huh. TIL.

I know a lot of mainline Protestants, but have never seen one with ashes on their forehead. Perhaps this is why.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s American thing. So more of a subset of everyone.
If Canadians are having crap for breakfast, it’d be a muffin. And the way they make muffins at the coffee shops, not much difference from a donut.

Timmy’s puts the calorie counts on stuff these days: I was shocked to see the muffins had more calories than the donuts!!!

A bagel with a big shmear of cream cheese is prolly just as fattening as a muffin.

The bagel has more calories, but it’s all starch and fat. A donut has a ton of sugar, too.

I don’t like eating sugar for breakfast. I feel “off” if there’s too much sugar in my breakfast. Maybe it’s psychosomatic, but i don’t understand donuts for breakfast, either.

I scoop my bagels

Yeah, I go to an Ash Wednesday service every year (maybe not consistently in college) but they’re usually at 7:00 or 7:30 PM and last an hour. And I have work the next day so afterwards I’m probably just going straight home. Maybe the grocery store or the gas station. I’ve never been to a morning Ash Wednesday service so you’ll never see me at work with ashes on my forehead.

1 Like

That’s why they invented meat. For breakfast.

What does that even mean?

I take out most of the inner bread, can usually just run my finger through. then toast it.

It’s quite delicious

I still can’t resist a fresh NY bagel, but it is more than I should have.

My wife bakes most of our bagels now. And tends to make them smaller

For me, the critical ingredient of breakfast is butterfat. I can have cereal with milk. Or a cup of coffee with half and half. Or a bagel with cream cheese (and optional fish) or even a mug of cocoa. But there needs to be butterfat.

Huh. You just throw away the the rest? I don’t think I’d be happy doing that. I can eat half a bagel, though. Or, if it’s just a snack, a quarter bagel.

I do. I have food issues, and hate wasting. I need to let go. If the bagel is not fresh that day, it is much easier to do.

If you want, save it for homemade breadcrumbs

Why not just have half a bagel?

You could drop them off at the homeless shelter…

4 Likes

I know what you thought! They don’t have homes! They don’t have jobs! What do they need the top of a muffin for? They’re lucky to get the stumps!

6 Likes

A lot of people in Peru would do that with their bread. Sliced bread isn’t much of a thing down there. You can find it, but it’s never really used. All the bread was in the form of a “roll”, and it was baked fresh that morning.

People would dig out the inside and throw it away. They said it was because that part was fattening. At that point I’d never heard of “low carb”, and I just thought it was weird. Now I’m thinking they may have been onto something - although just eating fewer “rolls” would have accomplished the same thing.

Scooped is closer to half a half day in volume. And more service area for lox

There is something called a doula.

It comes from the Greek doulē which means ‘female slave’.

I’m learning a lot today…

far side comic

https://www.thefarside.com/

I didn’t get the joke, so I googled it…The Picture of Dorian Gray - Wikipedia.

1 Like

Not much fat in a bagel (1.5g or so). Unless you are talking about a topping.