Today I learned

if there’s any drug that should be banned it should be cigarettes.

gross!

I would have guessed Jerusalem artichokes. My father grew them, and you could practically see them grow in the spring.They grew to 10 feet tall in a few weeks, and it was awfully impressive. But i don’t think they can do a foot in a day.

1 Like

Other people making bad hamburgers is not a defense for you owning and using a GF.

Eh, it’s a hassle to use a regular grill. It’s outside and I have to uncover it & recover it when I’m done and make sure there’s propane and sometimes I have trouble turning it on… the GF is so much easier and there’s really not enough of a difference to make it worthwhile to use the regular grill. Especially if I’m by myself and I want one burger.

1 Like

Other than putting lines in the food, what does a George foreman grill do that a frying pan doesn’t do?

1 Like

I would think it would stop splatter and it cooks on both sides at the same time.

2 Likes

Drains the fat
Has a good pitchman

1 Like

Everything already mentioned* plus it’s electric so it doesn’t heat up the kitchen like the gas stove does. I try to avoid using the stove in the summer.

It also goes to the correct temperature. I have no idea the correct temperature to set the stove at to cook a burger in a frying pan. But they come out right every time on the George Foreman, unless I leave them on too long.

*Well, I don’t particularly care about the pitch man.

TIL how many opinions can be had about someone else’s burger cooking preferences.

4 Likes

It can give your foot a pretty nasty burn if you aren’t careful though…

6 Likes

This is the only conversation I had envisioned being worthwhile about a George Foreman grill before this weekend.

I’ve never used one. The “doesn’t splatter” sounds nice. “Doesn’t heat up the kitchen” seems to be a problem with twig’s stovetop. I avoid the oven, and to some extent the toaster oven, in the summer, but find the stovetop and instant pot are not a problem. “Goes to correct temperature” is just about using a familiar tool.

Doesn’t splatter is very appealing. But harder to wash, more risk of burning myself, and not having counter space outweigh that. I am getting more electrical outlets in my kitchen, though. :grinning:

1 Like

Score. Has anyone ever said ‘gee, I wish I didn’t add these extra outlets?’

yes

13 Likes

Mine is extremely easy to wash, but that is model-specific. You just need one with removable plates.

Huh? There’s zero risk of burning yourself unless you’re really really trying very hard to do so. Half the time I don’t even use utensils, although certainly for burgers I do.

Other than just deliberately sticking your palm right on the plate, I can’t even fathom how it would be possible to burn yourself on the GF.

I let my niece use it and I won’t let her use the stove because there’s so much LESS risk of burning yourself.

1 Like

I really hope that’s photoshopped!

But did they live to regret it?

1 Like

What happens next will shock you

4 Likes

I was considering:

As for cleaning, it’s got to be at least 3 pieces (top grill, bottom grill, fat holder) where a frying pan is just one piece.

That was a reference to another poster dropping a George Foreman on their foot.

Yes, it has the three parts that you mentioned, and all three go in the dishwasher. Maybe 1 time in 10 I will put a drop of dish soap on a brush and scrub each of the two plates for 15 seconds and rinse after they come out of the dishwasher.

WAY less work than a cast iron skillet that has to be seasoned, or a non-stick frying pan that has to be hand-washed or a non-cast-iron, non-non-stick pan that has food stuck to it.

That’s one of the reasons I like the George Foreman. It’s SO much easier to clean than a frying pan.