Today I learned

(To remove pelvic bone in childbirth apparently :grimacing:

40% of ants are just looking busy

5 Likes

and they arenā€™t allowed any remote days!

2 Likes

That depends on if you consider the colony home or office right?

I googled to proved to myself you were joking. :scream:

It wasnā€™t to remove the bone. It was to cut the cartilage so the pelvic opening could be made wider.

Still, ouch!

The snow used in the Wizard of Oz movie was asbestos.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Probably should have know this and could cross post in the solstice thread as another interesting fact, but it only takes about 23 hours and 56 minutes for the earth to rotate one full time on its axis. But it take very close to 24 hours exactly for the earth to rotate so the same point faces the sun again.

3 Likes

That makes sense, Iā€™d never thought of that either.

isnā€™t this why Leap Day exists?

1 Like

I donā€™t think so.
That has to do with the fact that it takes the earth approximately 365.25 days to orbit the sun, regardless of rotational speed.
Put another way: If the earth rotated once every six hours, there would be a leap day every year, or, essentially, no leap day at all.

1 Like

Not at all. The amount of time it takes the earth to orbit the sun is very very close to 365 & 97/400 days, which is the average length of the year under the Gregorian calendar (97 leap days every 400 years)

Thatā€™s why we have leap days. Nothing to do with the rotation at all, just the orbit. Actuary321 was talking about the orbitā€™s impact on the rotation as observed from any given point on earth.

1 Like

Literally, right above your post.
Donā€™t put me on ignore! I WILL NOT be ignored!!!
(better check your pet rabbit. just saying.)

1 Like

My 30 yo twin nieces, who we were always told were not identical (I can tell them apart), but look amazingly alike, were genetically tested and it says they are identical.

3 Likes

I went to school with several sets of identical twins and I could always tell them apart without too much difficulty. :woman_shrugging:

That said, there are actually three types of twins:

1. fraternal: two eggs, two sperm - not necessarily from the same father
  2. identical: one egg, one sperm, fertilized egg splits
  3. semi-identical: one egg, two sperm, unfertilized egg splits and is fertilized by different sperm

I read an interesting Economist article on the discovery of semi-identical twins. They were doing studies on fraternal twin DNA and discovered that too many of the twins matched too closely to be chance, dug deeper and discovered their DNA from their mothers was identical. Since the sperm determines the sex and there are two sperm, semi-identical twins can be male/female (unlike identical twins).

3 Likes

ignore is for losers

Happy losers

1 Like

How would someone ā€œknowā€ (and thus tell people) that they were not identical? Sure, going with the odds, even pre-multi-egg IVF, is reasonable, but only 66%.
Numbers from here, in which monozygotic twins (MZ) is 4 in 1000, while Dizigotic twins rate is 8 in 1000 for white folk. (And I think these are non-IVF-assisted numbers).

And, given same sex, guessing the odds are higher for identical.

Something about a single or two placentae (sp?)

The best way to know if your set of twins is monozygotic or dizygotic is to have a DNA test done after they are born. Sometimes, determining the type of twins on the placenta alone can be unreliable. A family can be told that a set of twins is identical at birth based on the placenta alone, but as they grow older they start to notice more and more differences between the children. The opposite can also be true, that families are told that their twins are fraternal based on the placenta when really they are identical.

Itā€™s important to note that even if a set of twins is identical, they might still have some physical differences. These differences can be caused by environmental factors, including positioning inside of the womb. Differences might develop after birth as a response to the babiesā€™ environment. Pieces of their DNA can turn on or off depending on their surroundings, so twins may start to differ as they get older.

Fun fact: my mom is a twin. Allegedly identical, but they have always looked very different to me. Some of that is caused by rebelling against being forced to dress alike for their first 18 years.

1 Like

Duh!
Which is why I ignore losers.

3 Likes