Today I learned

Me too! I mean, I learned something!

There seem to be 2 types of teachers. Those who fail and those who succeed. The old version was for the former, the new version for the latter.

Today I learned that “infant” literally comes from “one unable to speak”.

It’s wild how much our language influences our daily life, and vice versa.

2 Likes

I remember a theory (who knows if legit) that childhood amnesia could be due to language development. That is, before we have words, maybe we can’t really encode our memories?

Also the more I learn about modern ChatBots, the more I think that “thinking” is language imitation.

I’m reading Oliver Sacks’ “Seeing Voices”, and there are similar theories inside. Like, not only do we not have memories before we have words, we’re not even human until we have a grasp of language as a thing, a symbolic representation and abstraction of the world around us.

How do animals remember things?

shrug

Maybe they can’t remember the same kinds of things.

Exactly, and I suspect that some day soon, Chat Bots will be the converse. They will be weirdly human, in having the power of symbolic representation and abstraction, but not animal, since they won’t be living in a world.

And maybe we could have chat bots on this site - “Back by popular demand, jasKent 2.0”

If you just programmed it to say “you lot” a bunch, no one would notice it wasn’t him. Maybe a dolphin ring avatar?

yap!

I can see that you CLEARLY don’t have the pedigree required to recognize his genius, consider yourself lucky to kiss that dolphin ring, plebe.

2 Likes

I wonder if he ever imagined that dolphin ring would be his legacy.

3 Likes

I feel a little bad making fun of him over it… a little.

I don’t think he cares.

Stopped at the grocery store on my morning walk and picked up a few things, one of which rang up (at the self-checkout) $8 too high. For $8 I’m gonna point it out & wait for them to fix it.

Guy next to me had a bunch of groceries and spun the little table the bags are on after he’d filled up two bags to get two more fresh ones on the other side. Mind blown… it never occurred to me that you could do that.

Of course in the time it took me to log in, find this thread and type this post I am still waiting for the guy the first lady called to come make this right.

1 Like

At least until the inheritance comes in.

Be like Jesus, be the fisher of fishers of fishermen.

Or like that St Ives dude who used bigamy to scale kitty transport.

4 Likes