Today I learned

maybe, but if you make the down lines from left to right, your pen (pencil, chalk, nail, blood, crayon, marker) will be on the right side for the fourth, therefore it would make sense to make the cross from right to left, further more, based on that logic, the diagonal should be from bottom to top, where the fourth line ends.

Which – ipso facto – appears as a downward left to right slant

mike drop

That assumes the most recent vertical line was drawn from top to bottom. What if it was bottom to top? :smiley:

Then there’s the inefficiency of how, if the slant is drawn from right to left, you then have to move the pen all the way to the other side of the bundle to start the next tally group.

The only efficiency gain by drawing the slant from right to left is if you are doing tally groups across multiple rows, in which case you have a little less room to travel when you go to a new line.

And even then, this assumes the Western convention of writing (or tallying) from left to right, from top to bottom, is followed. If it isn’t…all bets are off.

2 Likes

If I’m doing them quickly, then I go from high right to low left because my pencil is already on the right side of the diagram. But if its going slower, then the last goes top left to lower right because I’m used to writing in that direction.

wait now I’m confusing myself…now I think I meant /

Can’t remember the last time I tallied though

oh my Cthulhu… you people are such NERDS!

1 Like

anyone find it interesting all the tallies are quinquennial?

Lucy: “I’ll give you five reasons…”

2 Likes

I would have thought the Chinese one would have been

which is the character for 5. There are 5 strokes on that as well.

And if the S. American one was in Chinese they would do the left upright (top to bottom), top, right upright (top to bottom), inside diagonal (top left to bottom right), then bottom. Wouldn’t they?

That’s because there are only 4 strokes.

The seemingly two-stroke L bend in the middle counts as one stroke only.
The same way L is only one stroke.

1 Like

yup. left to right, top to bottom.

Those are good reasons! :gulp:

2 Likes

Yeah, I forgot about the angle. Just like the one from S. America doesn’t really work for Chinese because as they make the box, the top and right side are only a single stroke. But I would have made the seemingly two-stroke L bend in the middle 2 separate strokes when tallying. But I’m not actually Chinese so I’m just Inappropriately appropriating here.

Wow, I do see same thing. What are the odds? lol

Daniel Boone was not a big man -

In the theme song for the series, Boone was described as a “big man” in a “coonskin cap" and the "rippin’est, roarin’est, fightin’est man the frontier ever knew.This did not describe the real Boone, who was not a big man and did not wear a coonskin cap, which he thought uncouth and uncomfortable. Boone was portrayed this way in the TV series because Fess Parker, the tall actor who played him, was essentially reprising his role as Davy Crockett from an earlier TV series.

1 Like

Whereas an orifice is a general tubal opening, a meatus is word a tubal opening in the body.

The word meatal means of or pertaining to a meatus.

I have edema. Every time I’ve been asked that question on a health form I’ve said no. Today the doctor showed me that yes, I do. Good thing I’m starting a low sodium diet I guess.

My sister has cancer. Or had cancer but didn’t know it. Or something. She had her thyroid out, and there were cancerous cells found. So now she has to do radiation. Oh and it’s hereditary. Mom may have thyroid cancer too, given that her symptoms are similar to my sister’s, but worse. (She is supposed to be doing something about her thyroid but decided to wait and see how my sister did.)

This is when it’s good to be a pricing actuary. Several years ago when my sister had her first scare with “it might be cancer” I looked it up and found out thyroid cancer is almost always curable. (If they find it. Sheesh I can’t believe her old dr just let it sit there for years!)

2 Likes

what symptoms do they have?

Oh man, that sucks. Sending positive vibes.

I’m not even 100% sure about symptoms. The main thing is growing nodules on the thyroid. In my mom’s case, radiation therapy less than a year ago to shrink them, bc her thyroid was so large it prevented intubation. And now they are back. So we want that thing gone.

O.O