Today I learned

Not exactly today, but I recently learned that you can buy Dole Whip mix on Amazon. Got my first batch in the ice cream machine now.

2 Likes

and TIL that thereā€™s something called Dole Whip mix. Thatā€¦ does not look appetizing to me.

2 Likes

They sell it at Disney, so I think the cult following is due to nostalgia.

I wanted a synonym for ā€œquicklyā€.

The google machine brought me to merriam-webster which had, for one of its synonyms ā€œHell-for-leather.ā€

I had never heard of such a phrase before so I clicked the link.

snip of m-w definition
  1. having or showing a lack of concern for the consequences of oneā€™s actions
  2. having or showing a lack of concern for the consequences of oneā€™s actions
  3. with great speed

Further, I did some more google research on its origins.

snip from grammarist link

Hell for leather means as fast as possible. The term was first used in print in 1889 by Rudyard Kipling, specifically referring to riding a horse at breakneck speed. The leather in this case either refers to the leather in the saddle or the leather in the crop.

1 Like

I like the difference between the first and second definitions.

2 Likes

Indeed, itā€™s very subtle. Only the top 1% of actuaries will spot it. (I added a third definition for those inclined to not click on links.)

Rollinā€™, rollinā€™, rollinā€™
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them doggies rollinā€™
Rawhide
Rain and wind and weather
Hell bent for leather
Wishinā€™ my gal was by my side
All the things Iā€™m missinā€™
Good vittles, love and kissinā€™
Are waiting at the end of my ride

1 Like

Seek him here, seek him on the highway
Never knowing when heā€™ll appear
All wait, engine is ticking over
Hear the roar as they sense the fear

Wheels! a glint of steel and a flash of light!
Screams! from a streak of fire as he strikes!

Hell bent, hell bent for leather
Hell bent, hell bent for leather

1 Like

I just noticed that Louis Anderson is the flower delivery guy in Ferris Buellerā€™s Day Off.

I am addicted to caffeine (or physically dependent, depending on how you define addiction) and I taper off every year for my Yom Kippur fast. You should be able to taper down in 2-7 days without getting headaches.

I mostly drink tea, so this year I actually weighed my tea each day, and reduced the amount I brewed by a gram or two a day. With coffee, itā€™s probably easier to measure volume.

Iā€™ve only ever had dole whip at our local frozen yogurt shop, not Disney, but it is surprisingly delicious. Canā€™t even tell itā€™s dairy-free.

Weaselette got a big package of Dole whip mix after our trip to Disneyland last year. Itā€™s nostalgic for her but I have to admit itā€™s much tastier than I expected.

For coffee I slowly replaced regular coffee with decaf when making my own, worked reasonably well. One of these times I taper Iā€™ll actually stay off so I donā€™t have to taper again :laughing:

I could taper myself off, but then I drag too much, too many days.

Sigh. I guess I am just old and tired without it.

Very grateful to have no withdrawal when I cut out the beans. I actually didnā€™t have any today (have a cold and it doesnā€™t mix well with the Sudafed) and I feel the same.

Quitting coffee is a total bitch. I went cold turkey about six or seven years ago. It took about two weeks for me to dry out and then I avoided all caffeine for three or so months. Horrible headaches, couldnā€™t concentrate, and I was very grumpy. Iā€™m glad I did it though. I do drink the occasional coffee or soda now when I need a little pick me up but nothing like the constant flow of caffeine I used to ingest.

Norman Rockwellā€™s Rosie the Riveterā€™s pose was based on Michelangeloā€™s Isaiah from the Sistine Chapel

1 Like

Iā€™m also hooked on coffee, but I donā€™t have plans to quit. I find my morning cup quite pleasurable, and consumed in moderate quantities it doesnā€™t appear to have any adverse health effects and may have some positive effects. I drink one double-strength cup a day.

My reason for cutting back is I tend to do most of my physical activities in the evening. If I regularly drink morning coffee I have less energy in the evening, when Iā€™d like it for said activities. Sure I could also have evening coffee, but then I canā€™t sleep.

IKWYM

1 Like