Thread where actuaries diagnosis medical issues

Oh, I didn’t mean to imply that you had heart issues. It was heart issues for my friend causing a lack of oxygen to the brain. That was the correlation I intended to draw but I see how your inference is obvious from what I said.

Also, I briefly looked and there is some evidence that CBD does relax pulmonary arteries. I think you aren’t getting enough oxygen to your brain for some reason. I’m guessing nargles.

nargles? what’s a nargle? joke?

i’m wondering if a cardiologist would find an issue with getting oxygen to your brain. what you are saying sounds possible, but why would a cardiologist not find this?

It was a Harry Potter joke. Luna Lovegood blames weird stuff on nargles. Not a good joke, but a joke none the less. You can get an amulet to keep them away but it doesn’t help much.

A cardiologist might find something like this but maybe not if it is a lung specific issue. Also, you weren’t having the symptoms at the time you went to them and thus your oxygen levels and subsequent oxygen to the brain were probably normal at that time. You could get a pulse oximeter, they are like $20 on Amazon, and see how your oxygen levels are varying. It might not even be pulmonary, it could be that your hemoglobin is funny and isn’t carrying as much oxygen as it should. But if you do measure it, at least you have some data points that you can correlate with the fatigue that you are experiencing.

i just checked my oxygen saturation level with this cheap thing i got off amazon in 2020 when i thought i was getting covid for sure. first it said 98% and then said 99% and the 3rd time said 100%. not sure how reliable this thing is, but according to it, my oxygen is okay.

2 Likes

I don’t know wtf to do. This is absolute torture and I have no answers. :sob:

i messaged this gyn i saw a few months ago with these hormone tests i got one from last year when i wasn’t having these symptoms and another from this year when i was to ask her if it’s possible that perimenopause is causing these symptoms. she claims ya, i’m perimenopausal, but it wouldn’t cause this fatigue. so back to no idea.

I am super confused on all the menopause/perimenopause stuff. When I was in college I worked with a couple ladies who had kids in college (so I’d guess at least 45-50) and they all talked about taking their “happy pills”. But stuff I’m reading said HRT doesn’t affect mood unless it helps you sleep better and that in itself helps mood.

Pretty sure my gyn thinks my issues are mental health, but she gave me a prescription anyway. It’s not doing anything, so she is probably right. At least she ran a few tests and I know it’s not my thyroid.

But my PCP refused to prescribe anything for anxiety when I saw her in March. Then last month she offered Ambien for my sleep issues. I’m afraid of Ambien so I declined. And what I’m reading suggests sleeping pills only add 30 minutes or so of sleep on average and I need 90 minutes more on average.

So I scheduled another appointment in a few weeks and if my PCP still doesn’t want to give me anything besides a sleeping pill I’m going to ask for another referral. I don’t know if I’m going crazy because I’m not sleeping or if I’m not sleeping because I’m going crazy but something has to give.

HRT cured my depression. But I have always been prone to PMS. I wouldn’t describe it as a “happy pill”, though, more a “lack of misery pill”.

I think there have been times and places when it was common to give women valium for all sorts of reasons, probably including perimenopause. That may be what they were talking about.

It’s done nothing for me, but I actually don’t know if what she gave me is truly considered HRT. My symptoms aren’t extreme enough to need it. (I mean, they were extreme enough to go to the dr, but she didn’t think they were extreme enough to treat.)

I’ve read on my fb group for perimenopause/menopause that HRT can cure depression, but it really varies among women. I think that HRT can have side effects including bleeding too much. Some women swear by it while others flee from it in horror due to the side effects. Seems like more swear by it than not though, at least in that group.

there is a debate on whether HRT can cause breast cancer and many doctors won’t prescribe it if you have a family history of breast cancer. It’s a debate though as some say you just need to be monitored more closely if you’re on HRT and a breast cancer risk and doctors are just being overly cautious and lazy by not prescribing it. I really don’t know though. Unless my tired disease is perimenopause related, which I was told by a gyn that it’s likely not, I don’t have a use for HRT yet.

huge family history of breast cancer on my mothers side, but pretty much zero cancer on my father’s side. so, hopefully i take after my father’s side for this. and I’d like to opt out of my father’s side for the macular degeneration. I already have his not great hearing.

Gosh wasn’t that in the 50’s? I was in college in the 80’s. Were they still giving out valium then? I assumed it was Premarin.

My sister was in college in the 80s, and went to student health services with some anxiety related issue, and they gave her valium. She said she took one pill and felt so good that she flushed the rest down the toilet.

They certainly gave out a lot of premarin in the 80s, but I find it hard to imagine people talking about it as a “happy pill”.

1 Like

Well, if you are taking it for symptomatic relief, it’s pretty easy to decide whether you feel better or worse on estrogen. And if it makes you feel worse, it’s easy to stop.

Long term stuff, like reducing the risk of fractures and increase the risk of breast cancer, is harder to judge. But if it’s just about side effects, I’d advise a woman considering HRT to give it a try and see how she feels.

well yes, but for someone like me with breast cancer in the family that was likely linked to hormones (natural, not HRT), it’s not that easy.

I really have no idea. But maybe if it helped with hot flashes or something it made them happier?

I’m a little (ok a lot) confused about HRT. Supposedly you don’t need it if you are still having periods, which would be in perimenopause. But hot flashes also start in perimenopause and you need estrogen to help with those. So you just have to suffer through for 5-8 years or whatever? (Thankfully I don’t have the really intense kind.)

My understanding is that a different dosage level is used for perimenopause versus menopause.

I’ve been reading none at all if having periods. You are not considered menopausal until a year after your last period. So I don’t get it.

ETA: now I can’t find where I read it. But that’s pretty much what my doctor said.

In my perimenopause/menopause group, many women were told by their doctors that they can’t have HRT while in perimenopause and it’s only for menopause, but other doctors will give it to women in perimenopause too. These women claim that the doctors who won’t give you HRT because you’re still having a period are clueless idiots.

1 Like

I just got a memo from my building from the safety of my parents house. They are shutting down gas service to the building by ConEd because a main building gas line was discovered to be in unsatisfatctory condition. They said the minimum duration for the shut down is 6 TO 8 MONTHS! HOLY SHIT

could this be what was making me sick?